Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Worst thing you've done to your dwarfs?  (Read 3109 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: Worst thing you've done to your dwarfs?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 07:23:12 pm »

then we ran out of VODKA booze,
What is it with you and vodka, man?

Anyway, I'd have to say the worst thing I ever did was accidentally wall my crippled dwarf into a glass room during a magma flood. Every other dwarf in the fortress died, and this one legless cripple had to just sit there and watch as their bodies went up in flames and they burned alive.
くコ:彡

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 07:38:32 pm »

I destroyed 4/5ths of the fort's value in one fell swoop.

Amazingly, not a single one went insane on the spot.  The worst was only "very unhappy".

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 08:04:07 pm »

Got bored, punctured a creek that was at the fort's entrance, watched it slowly fill up the fort and watch dwarves drown. There were a bunch of doors, so some dwarves were trapped in the bedrooms. I recall one trapped in the food storage room who kept tantrumming and throwing barrels around.

Death by drowning is slow with water. Should try magma if ever get the chance...

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 08:32:57 pm »

Dwarves trapped in their rooms by magma looks like this. Although I didn't mean to do this, it's totally applicable! The couple of dead dwarves in their rooms full of magma got so thirsty that they tried to leave.

I think this happened because I was building on the third cavern layer right above the magma sea and there was also a magma pipe. I had gotten so used to canceld designations that I just redesignated them thoughtlessly and breached the pipe. My miner was the only one that made it to the surface.

That was a doomed fort anyway, a couple blind cave trolls got in while I was walling off the caverns and managed to kill a couple dwarves before the hastily assembled militia took them down.

Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 08:55:20 pm »

I once decided to do the volcanic island embark, thought it would be fun to have a peaceful fort for once.

Arrive and am doing the normal setup stuff when I look at my creatures tab and notice that there is a HYDRA. A freaking HYDRA listed as a "resident".

I immediately draft all dorfs and do a ZERG RUSH for the win. Except you know, NOT cuz they all died. but the hydra was happy ill bet.

Urist McHydra cancels spring cleaning. Interrupted by breakfast.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 09:54:03 pm »

the worst thing i ever did intentionally was breach hell without a military active.

just let them come, sat back, and watched the fun.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »

I once decided to do the volcanic island embark, thought it would be fun to have a peaceful fort for once.

Arrive and am doing the normal setup stuff when I look at my creatures tab and notice that there is a HYDRA. A freaking HYDRA listed as a "resident".

I immediately draft all dorfs and do a ZERG RUSH for the win. Except you know, NOT cuz they all died. but the hydra was happy ill bet.

Urist McHydra cancels spring cleaning. Interrupted by breakfast.

You, sir, are a genius.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 03:43:35 am »

Fort on the side of a volcano - had been reading Bridgemurdered.  Tried to develop a magma cannon in 3D, despite having no idea.

Also had a lot of captured invaders.  Stacked them out in the depression in the landscape outside the fort.  Then opened the gates of the Magma Deployment Device, situated near the top of the volcano.

Had forgotten a few things, like using magma resistant rocks, checking I'd sealed all gaps in the fort, and cancelling the "drag caged beast into the magma sea" command.

I probably could have saved them but it was so much fun watching goblins cook, dwarves flee and the off animal escape from wooden cages then burn.  Afterwards it was a charred landscape, elves invaded and the three surviving dwarves went mad.  So much fun...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 05:23:09 am »

The new sickness seems to be my cave spider silk farm.

Urist McSilkfarmer gathers silk webs.

Urist McSilkfarmer gets bitten by cave spider.

Urist McSilkfarmer dies about 30 stories down, unmourned, haunts a forgettable spot an adventurer is unlikely to discover, wash, rinse, repeat multiple times.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 08:34:59 am »

then we ran out of VODKA booze,
What is it with you and vodka, man?
I'm Russian and a communist, what do you expect?
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 08:44:23 am »

separated them from their pets and murdered said pets.

... because i was annoyed that they were running around everywhere. if you like horses fine, but keep them off the dinner table!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 09:22:21 am »

I accidentally put a real spear in the Danger Room. Then while I was away designating digging jobs, one guy died, and a whole string of dwarves came to collect his belongings -- all of my dwarves that could walk walked right into the danger room and got impaled on that one spear. The survivors died of thirst in the hospital because there was no one around to get them food/drink. It was my very first complete fail, so I let it play out instead of abandoning.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:43:57 am by AngleWyrm »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 10:11:21 am »

Before I learned to separate my food stockpiles from the booze, one of my first fortresses had an issue with booze; no barrels to make it with. I didn't realize this until dwarves were going berserk over it, so I figured assigning a captain of the guard would calm things down.

Turns out this guy would have made an excellent military captain instead, as he proceeded to punch half the fortress to death. As a result, the spiral worsened and I ended up flooding the fortress from the nearby river.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 11:25:10 am »

What about melting fat off one's soldiers or deliberately exposing them to flesh-rotting contaminants, for non-bleeding temperature-resistant pain-immune killers?

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 02:17:41 pm »

1. Swordsdwarf gives birth.
2. Swordsdwarf is sent into danger room regardless.
3. Baby is horribly mangled, then impaled on spikes.
4. Swordsdwarf gives birth, again.
5. Swordsdwarf sent out to fight goblins.
6. Baby takes a hit from a maul and dies.
7. Swordsdwarf hangs around the barracks being real sad about things.
8. Swordsdwarf hacks manager to death in front of everyone in the food stockpile.
Pages: 1 [2] 3