Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Worst thing you've done to your dwarfs?  (Read 3102 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Worst thing you've done to your dwarfs?
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:06:47 pm »

Out of bordom, I embarked, dug out an aclove in a hill, assigned everyone there, then caved em in.
Out of bordom. :P

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worst thing you've done to your dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:13:33 pm »

This was less intentional, more accidental.

I was building some fortifications next to my bridge over the river so my soldiers wouldn't dodge off the bridge, fall 8 z-levels to the carp infested waters. I forgot that bridges don't support construction. After about 5 fortifications fell all at once, and about 10 dwarves came down with them because of dust, I remembered that I had a storeroom under the bottom of the river. I go down there and guess what, water is filling my fortress through about 4 holes that were punched in the ceiling. While I tried to evacuate my dwarves and build up walls to hold the hell waves back, an ambush came that forced everyone back down the stairs. We were stuck between a rock and a hard place (or a watery place) and destined to die, because the water was filling so fast we couldn't fully complete any walls and we had no doors, this fortress was new you see, only about 30 dwarves in it. It's a shame, on my second migrant wave I got 5 individual dwarves, one was a Legendary Armorsmith, one was a Legendary Blacksmith, one was a Legendary Weaponsmith, one was a Great Metal Crafter, and one was a Great Furnace Operator.

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:16:09 pm »

Well if my military loses a battle I don't do the sensible thing of ya know blocking the entrance. I enlist everyone! ZERG RUSH and then fort collapse.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:23:53 pm »

Well, while I wasn't familiar with new military system; I used zerg rush to fend off first ambushes successfully (I mean remainder lasted long enough for migrants to come) and my fort crumbled only when I hesitated to do so again and dwarves failed to finish wall sealing them from invaders.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:27:16 pm »

I regularly atom-smash unwanted immigrants, but everybody does that.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 01:28:53 pm »

I remember my first seige, Not a great military, so I just locked up.

Realized I left a few dwarfs outside, including a child  :'(

But the elf traders were there too, so it made it worth it.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:34:29 pm »

Tagged the wrong pump for deconstruction...was probably high or something.

Anyway, drowned 40% of my adult population and every dwarf under 12 years old, all washed into a 2-z deep aquifer.
This could be a facepalm, it could be part of the learning curve.  But it was so brutally effective at fucking them over that it really belongs here:)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 01:36:49 pm »

I'd say the worst thing I ever did was told my masons to dam a major river, with the help of 4 channels, 15 pumps and an army of masons, I only lost half of them!

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 01:52:08 pm »

droped a bunch of dwarfs down my murder hole (10 z levels) to fight poison FB in the first cavern even with broken naked bodies they won until they rotted away.

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 02:05:52 pm »

For me, I think it is my fast transportation system. I created a system with pressure plates that made my dwarves fall from the top of my fort in a hole of 70z levels. At the bottom, there was an elephant to cancel any damages.
Hooray for parachutists dwarves! Also, great thanks to the 21 test subjects who helped to make this system perfect and I don't forget the !!Parachutists!! who saved me from an hydra by luring it in this hole I filled with magma to make a cat garbage dump.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:11:03 pm »

I want to have a megabeast or non-flying random beast dodge off a cliff over a 100 level drop into a magma pit. I will use as many dwarves as I need to make this happen.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 02:17:54 pm »

I want to have a megabeast or non-flying random beast dodge off a cliff over a 100 level drop into a magma pit. I will use as many dwarves as I need to make this happen.
Had an unharmed Forgotten Beast dodge a punch from a planter whose hand it had already ripped off. 4 z-levels below, it was dead. I wish it had been as epic as your idea.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 02:21:08 pm »

Let the Elves live Just Kidding, NO ELVES EVER LEAVE MY FORT ALIVE, anyway, I once (when I was a noob at 31.xx) forgot to brew drinks, so, I brought some, then we ran out of VODKA booze, so, I rushed out to gather plants, then, I got an ambush, thankfully, I had a good Militia, so, I killed them and only lost 5 men, so, I was feeling cocky, my mind was like "You know how to say owned in Russian? OWNED!", then, I got an elven caravan and 3 ambushes, Militia died, enlisted everyone, they all died, BUT, the worse thing that happened to that fort, not the lack of booze, not the ambushes or the spiral, the worse thing that happened, was that THE ELVES LIVED!!!!!
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 03:55:40 pm »

Lets see here....

In a fort with 100+ pop (in 40d) which was starting to have FPS issues, I recruited 80% of the forts population and stationed them under suspended floor and collapsed it, killing dwarves, children, pets and all.  In hindsight an atom smasher would have been a better idea.

During an experiment (also 40d) with pumping water from mid-fall on an underground waterfall, I decided to change plans and set 8 or so pumps to be removed, but failed to take into account the fact that my re-routed water was not pressurizing the water behind the pumps.  The first pump which got deconstructed caused all the dwarves standing around working on removing the pumps to get washed down the bottomless hole, then the rest of the fort proceeded to run down to the pumps to remove them and by the time I noticed anything over half my population had been washed away.

After reading about 'blinky tossy bridges' in a post from Sphalerite I decided I would replicate his 'bridge of flingy doom'(40d again).  After getting everything set up and testing it on an ambush, I got bored and removed all meeting areas and set one up right in the middle of the bridge and had the mayor start pulling the lever.  After everyone had been flung to their splattery deaths, I told the mayor to stop pulling the lever... With SPEED:0 he was able to get to the meeting area just in time for the last blink  -Your fortress has crumbled.

There are probably more that I cannot remember.  Seems that since 2010 I have not really been very sadistic, maybe I got it all out in 40d
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 07:15:35 pm »

I let six permanently injured dwarves die of dehydration because I was short on beds.  :-[
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.
Pages: [1] 2 3