Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Melee VS. archers  (Read 1615 times)

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Melee VS. archers
« on: December 16, 2010, 12:55:41 pm »

Giving up entirely on the whole marksdwarf ordeal, I have decided to use hammerdwarves exclusively. The obvious downside in using melee forces against ranged foes is of course that a thousand bolts will have rained upon my hammerlords before they have gotten close enough to slaughter the enemy.

I have experimented with a long, 1-tile narrow passageway leading directly into my fort, with a platform just before the entrance. A pressure plate, linked to a brige, seals off the enemy in small numbers where my dwarves can maim and hack them untill the next wave arrives. The problem with this solution is the enemy A.I; more than often the goblins just stand around outside the corridor and leave when they have butchered enough roaming animals, depriving my hammerdwarves of much fun and practise.

I have thought about building a pattern on a large area of the map, where stone pillars block enemy fire. However, I'm not exactly shure of just how the pillars should be placed.

tl;dr: Hammerdwarves VS. elven archers. How design battlefield? Any suggestions?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melee VS. archers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:12:43 pm »

I'd try out something like this:
Code: [Select]
The more irregular it is the better, single tile pillars though will leave too many random straight lines.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:13:12 pm »

Charge. Steel armor > Wooden arrows.

Also, U-turns are good for neutralizing the distance advantage of archers. Just station you dwarfs behind it and as the archers come around, they'll be too close to do anything before being slaughtered.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 01:14:58 pm »

Actually, you probably won't get nearly as many arrows as you would in 40d. Even if you get hit, having even bronze armor will probably keep your cans dwarves safe.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 01:16:35 pm »

The thing about hammers is that, while they're not as strong as edged weapons, they seem to receive little to no damage reduction against armor. Since elves don't know what armors is this makes hammers a suboptimal melee choice against them.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 02:00:49 pm »

Other option is a retracting bridge over a shallow pit with a 1 tile wide constructed floor along the center, over the pit. Any goblins trying to walk across the narrow floor will get tossed into the pit by the bridge.

Once you have collected sufficient goblins, pull another lever to retract another set of bridges under the holding pen.

The contents of the holding pen empty into your barracks below, which would be full of armed, armored, and on duty dwarves. :D

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:44:10 pm »

Also, U-turns are good for neutralizing the distance advantage of archers. Just station you dwarfs behind it and as the archers come around, they'll be too close to do anything before being slaughtered.
Except that goblins will be using bronze or silver arrows...
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 02:47:04 pm »

you could always get high shield skill then you become arrow immune

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 03:02:19 pm »

Shields beat ammunition. Any dwarves with a decent shield user skill will block a good deal of arrows, which will result in far less injury on the way to the enemy.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 05:04:24 pm »

My barracks are to both sides of a passage, when the enemy enters, a pressure plate triggers the two bridges which allows my melee soldier to attack the gobbos without walking much towards them

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 06:35:40 pm »

Shields

A shield and weapon is seriously all dwarfs need, provided they are legendary in both.
My Speardwarf and Axedwarf, both with only steel spear/axe and steel shield almost took down an entire squad of gobbo xbows.
My Hammerdwarf dodged off a cliff though  ::)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:54:52 pm »

Can't you make a checkerboard pattern of pillars? They'd be able to move diagonally while the archer's can't hit them at all.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 08:56:01 pm »

Except that goblins will be using bronze or silver arrows...

Hammerdwarves VS. elven archers.
Ahem.
Can't you make a checkerboard pattern of pillars? They'd be able to move diagonally while the archer's can't hit them at all.

That really wouldn't work, because an arrow could be fired diagonally down the paths the dwarfs take. However, Di's diagram would work, as there is very little open area.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 09:53:02 pm »

The thing about hammers is that, while they're not as strong as edged weapons, they seem to receive little to no damage reduction against armor. Since elves don't know what armors is this makes hammers a suboptimal melee choice against them.

Compared to magma everything is suboptimal

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 10:07:14 pm »

Compared to magma everything is suboptimal

It was about time operation FTW was suggested.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: [1] 2