Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Revenge of the Titans  (Read 10535 times)

The Worst Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Revenge of the Titans
« on: December 16, 2010, 11:37:02 am »

Revenge of the Titans is, for lack of a better genre, a tower defence game. You put down your towers, beef them up with bonus buildings and watch as they tear into the eponymous titans, gigantic aliens that have a severe alien hard on for murdering you.

It's also an absolutely amazing game that I got in the second Humble Indie bundle and which is very, very fun to play.

Revenge of the Titans Site Link
Humble Indie Bundle Link

I suggest you get it (since, you know, you can get it for a single penny, you cheap, tight-fisted bastards) and play it until your fingers bleed, especially as you get things like Cortex Command along with it.

Spoiler: Comments / Praise (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Complaints (click to show/hide)

Anyway, how did all you guys like the game?
"He's just plain bad."

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Titans
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:10:25 pm »

Yeah my main gripe was the tech tree as well.

And not knowing what route those damn mobs will take.
I hate it when I build my entire line of defenses in the way of the mobs.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:11:55 pm »

I like it, you do know you can click the little button at the bottom of the tech viewer to switch to a tech tree view, right? It doesn't tell you what the techs do but at least you can see it.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:12:37 pm »

Edit ^^, beat me to it. ;)

- Tech trees should be viewable the entire time. I hate the way you play without knowing what you'll get if you go for certain techs.

Switching to Tree view solved that... bottom of the research screen, press switch to toggle to a tech tree showing what is needed for what.
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

The Worst Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:15:54 pm »

I knew that. =p I also think that should be it's default setting.

I just don't like that I don't know what the hell those things are going to be until I unlock them.

How was I meant to know that's an autoloader or that's a shotgun cannon?
"He's just plain bad."

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 12:28:23 pm »

I knew that. =p I also think that should be it's default setting.

I just don't like that I don't know what the hell those things are going to be until I unlock them.

How was I meant to know that's an autoloader or that's a shotgun cannon?

That I can only agree with :P
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:28:10 pm »

This was pretty fun for a few solid hours. I lasted one day before I had it figured out and shelved it.

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 02:09:44 pm »

Can't say I got a sure-win strategy yet. I'm getting plenty battered in the campaign. My best defence so far was setting up a Laser Turret with a few radars, batteries, and generators (and a few heavy blasters around of course). Then I met one of those Queens on Mars, and found lasers deflect off of it. Damn. Now I need another strategy. And drones too.

In the Endless game, I made a dash for the most vicious-looking thing in the tech list, the missile launcher. Turns out it's something you do NOT want to upgrade for anything except range. Sure, plenty of stopping power against pretty much anything, but holy damn collateral damage!

Btw, my best time in Survival, Earth Plain, is 13 minutes and... hell, forgot. 13.15.something, I think. By the end, my super-entrenchment only survived thanks to a few powerups I accumulated. Once the second motherhumper beast walked in, I was stomped.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 05:52:18 pm »

yea, jesus.. This game is insanely insanely hard.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 05:55:28 pm »

Not really a game I think they should be charging for...

Dang, I should start making games, this is easy!

Not a bad game mind you, it is just that I am starting to notice a pattern in independent games.

and DAAAAAANG am I complaining a lot.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:58:51 pm by Neonivek »

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »

Not really a game I think they should be charging for...

Dang, I should start making games, this is easy!

Not a bad game mind you, it is just that I am starting to notice a pattern in independent games.

and DAAAAAANG am I complaining a lot.
I didn't buy it for the gameplay, I bought it for the art and story.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 12:25:34 pm »

I just got this as part of the indie bundle, and am finding it quite challenging! I'm almost done with the moon 'episode', but I'm quite short on cash for research upgrades. Is it possible to redo older missions to accumulate more funds? Or am I stuck with ~2500 credits when most research at this point costs between 5000 and 7500?

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 01:13:18 pm »

I just got this as part of the indie bundle, and am finding it quite challenging! I'm almost done with the moon 'episode', but I'm quite short on cash for research upgrades. Is it possible to redo older missions to accumulate more funds? Or am I stuck with ~2500 credits when most research at this point costs between 5000 and 7500?

^^ Dito, I only put in an hour or two so far, but this is what I'm running into also. Tips, hints would be welcome...

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 01:19:04 pm »

Try to bunch up your turrets near your refineries, make ~4 sensors near them, and research the heavy blasters ASAP.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 02:15:30 pm »

You can replay earlier missions to get better results. You'll only have whatever tech you had when you previously attempted them though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: [1] 2