Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Revenge of the Titans  (Read 10531 times)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Titans
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 02:44:40 pm »

money is a huge issue on this game, once you go to mars you have to spend ridiculous amounts of money on defense to the point i cant even research anything anymore :(

also dont buy the droid factories, omg they suck vs shielded titans, i spent alot of money on them one game and they were horrible. In earlier missions they woulda been nice i think but not later ones.

But its super cool to see like 150 droids firing tiny little lasers at a giant titan.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 03:04:59 pm »

Droids will be useful on Mars, because Queens will pop tiny Titans that can't be shot at by your normal defences, which will negate you bonus money if you don't quickly building-stomp or fry them.

To have money left for research on Mars, make sure to research SOME kind of heavy weapon by that time. The laser cannon worked for me, bonus point for upgrading all turrets' range as part of the tech tree. It's expensive, but since you recover most of that price when the level ends, as long as all your buildings are left intact you should be fine.
If you don't want the laser cannon for some reason, at the very least have heavy blasters and all support buildings. The heavies are effective enough against everything, and with four generators powering them they reload quite fast. Farm up the crystals as fast as you can, make a strip of Generators near your base, line it with Heavies and support buildings. With range boosters they'll be able to concentrate fire on all attackers, and with some micromanagement you'll never have more than two or three reloading at the same time. But really, heavy weapons are a must on Hard mode. The Laser is my favorite so far (out of two I've seen - I've yet to unlock the third one), because of its range. Sure, its lock-on range is limited, but its firing range is not! It'll take out whole swathes of weaker Titans if you position it right, because it sweeps across the target it fires at instead of just scorching it directly. If it didn't take so bloody long to reload, it'd be the only defence I used. Well, that and its inadequate firepower against the really heavy armor.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:09:32 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 03:49:52 pm »

I love this game, Ive been playing the demo for quite some time now, probably in the range of several months, not relegiously until I got the HIB, but this game rocks.  My standard defense so far is pretty good. I put down 3 of the second turrets you unlock, 2 of the heavy ones, and 2-4 of the first ones, pop down a few range boosters and battery boosters, put up some walls and go to town. I also try to lay mines on roads since thats the way they mostly travel. I try to have one group of turrets for the same map so all of them take advantage of the addon buildings.

As for money, research the refining and try to get that mine booster up as fast as you can, it really seems to help out with making money. Just make sure you have it so each one covers as many mines as possible, because they get increasingly more expensive the more you place.
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 04:09:00 pm »

You can replay earlier missions to get better results. You'll only have whatever tech you had when you previously attempted them though.

Ah, so I'm assuming you'll only get the difference between the old payout and the new one, to use in later missions?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 04:38:29 pm »

Perhaps, yes. Thing is, I don't know. Since you can choose a different tech to research as well, I think replaying an earlier mission only affects the funds and techs at the start of the one after that. For example, I now realised that reprocessors are a worthwhile investment, and replayed missions since the end of the Moon section (even managed to get Pristine on that one, thanks to a few timely Berserk powerups). So, now I'm at the same point where I was before, no worse for money (better in fact), and lacking only the spreadshot technologies. The laser makes up for the lack of spreadshots, it turns into a monster when sufficiently cooled and charged. All other turrets are only there to provide backup while it reloads.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 07:02:06 pm »

I can't get past the last earth mission to matter what.  Even if I manage to kill all the small guys the boss just rolls over all my defenses and one hits my base without any trouble.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 07:33:41 pm »

I could only survive the first few bosses thanks to the Berserk power-up, which massively increases the damage your blasters deal. They become powerful enough to execute the giant titan in but a few seconds.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 07:34:33 pm »

Would be nice to have a list with tech prices and what they do :P

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 08:29:39 pm »

I could only survive the first few bosses thanks to the Berserk power-up, which massively increases the damage your blasters deal. They become powerful enough to execute the giant titan in but a few seconds.

Don't have one of those.  :(
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 09:32:48 pm »

the powerups seemingly drop randomely so go back and fight a earlier battle and see if one will drop. make sure you click to pick it up before it dissapears though (I think they dissapear after 10 seconds or something.)
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:17 pm »

I think 'leader' mobs drop them on death. You generally get cash drops, but sometimes you get power-ups.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 11:08:07 am »

So I made it to Saturn without ever lowering the difficulty, and I'm getting consistently pwned on the very first mission there. The critters are real fast and manage to swarm my base real quick.

The laser would've come in handy, but it's so damn hard to survive with so much cash, enough to research it, AND enter the next mission with enough to quickly set up a reasonable defense. :/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:11:10 am by Greenbane »

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 11:36:35 am »

I found the game to be near-impossible. Then I realized that the support structres (range increasing scanner for example) stack. Oh my, suddenly I could close that huge gap with only 1 cluster of turrets!

Now the problem seems to be that I have spent A LOT of money on research that I don't really use at all. Bummer, maybe third restart of campaign will make me wiser (I'm on saturn and dying to first appearance of queens, after spending on 20 000+ on useless tech).
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 10:32:00 am »

Time to perform some necromancy on this thread!

There has been major rebalancing done. Patch notes can be found here:
http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=792
and
http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=797

But here are the highlights:
-Refineries now automatically generate money at a constant rate and no longer need collecting
-Turrets now automatically reload
-Research is now free
-20 more things to research!
-Any remaining powerups on the ground at the end of the level are automatically collected for you
-Crystal scavenging now only 20% of remaining crystal value
-Research no longer contributes to game difficulty
-Bezerk mode used to double weapon damage – now reverted to normal weapon damage as it made their use against bosses simply too efficacious
-More crystals, to pay for more expensive turret upgrades
-Difficulty is now open ended, and gidrah hitpoints and speed effectively now infinite
-Option to not degrade difficulty when level restarted (for hardcore perfectionists only!)
-Your inventory of powerups now contributes to the overall difficulty of a level. Hoard them at your peril!

One would think that with removal of research costs and need to reload/collect things the game would be easier. However, if anything it has gotten harder!

I didn't need the "new level" option for first 9 of earth missions and I managed to collect a huge pile of money. Then on the last earth mission, the boss stage, the boss was at my doorstep in like 2 seconds (not literally), tearing my defenses apart like they were paper. Whoa.

But I find this new system more fun, this way I can save all the money for turrets.

Examples of research additions:
"X-Ray Scanner": Wraiths are now visible, but turret/scanner range (don't remember which one) gets -0,5.
"Extra coffee delivery: an extra delivery of coffee, worth $2500 to the war effort"
"Advanced Battledroids": increase droid speed & damage
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:01:22 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."
Pages: 1 [2]