Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trap Design  (Read 730 times)

Umbro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trap Design
« on: December 16, 2010, 09:10:08 am »

Getting back into the game after a good 6 month break and need to know if some of my old issues are still present. (Last version I played was 31.10 I think)

What happened before
The fortress comes under attack(ambush).  Long maze of cage/pointy traps should take care of the attackers.  The enemy leader is killed/captured first and the rest of the raiding party sits at my entrance blocking everything.  Send in the troops to take care of this by hand.  A dozen or so troops are slaughtered almost instantly doing little damage.

Aside from training/equipping my troops better is the "follow the leader" still an issue for attackers?  What are the best workarounds?  Anything simple besides giant magma washouts?

This issue really killed the game for me last time and I'm hoping to plan better this time around.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trap Design
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:12:08 am »

Last siege:
 - A couple of squads with trolls and all arrive
 - Their leader is a lizard demon
 - Two seconds later the leader attacks some goblins
 - He kills two of them, all of them leave

Wow. ;)

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:25:40 pm »

Last siege:

Wow. ;)

This is a new glitch in the game, Goblins treat any non goblin troops as enemies, including capture humans/demons/elves that are leading their attack.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:42:32 pm »

Last siege:

Wow. ;)

Yes and its ruining my fun!  >:( >:( >:(

This is a new glitch in the game, Goblins treat any non goblin troops as enemies, including capture humans/demons/elves that are leading their attack.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:57:22 pm »

If you trap them in an area you can use water to force them to proceed into traps, but thenm you might as well just drown them.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 04:27:20 am »

I'm not too sure.. had my first siege yesterday (I've been playing to and from, mostly building and designing instead of waging war)

The enemies were a group of trolls, a group of 16 mounted pikegoblins and 16 mounted bow-goblins.

The trolls killed a chained cat, I raised my drawbridge and they figured they were done for the day. The trolls left.
The goblins killed chained animals as well, I lowered the bridge to lured the bow-goblins near and raised it again. Dwarves began firing from the battlements ... and they didn't hit a single goblin, they only hit the mounts. After 3 mounts had passed out and 5 were somewhat wounded,  the goblins began retreating. The leader lingered around for a bit but then the entire squad ran.

So with only one group left I lowered the drawbridge and prepared my dwarves for a battle. The leader didn't advance, instead 7 of his troops broke off from the group and came rushing in. They fell in a few traps and were shot at, the mounts died pretty quickly and the goblins were thrown off. The siege was broken and I figured I had won! I sent the melee-dwarves out and they executed wounded mounts and goblins on the bridge, and indeed the enemy HAD retreated ... all except the leader. The goblin hammerlord "Utis Evildeer" who lead the pikemen.

He charged and killed two of my best warriors, crushed the hand of a footman and broke the legs of three footmen. With only two dwarves present and standing, the only thing that hit Utis was two bolts that barely grazed him. He finally fled and left me to collect my wounded and wonder what on earth happened.
I imagine that Utis flipped my dwarves off before running into the desert.

TL;DR: In my siege the goblins acted independent of the leader, but I interrupted their path-finding with a drawbridge more than once. IDK if that has an effect.

ps. Utis wasn't technically the last goblin. There was a pikeman mounted on a jabberer being chased around the entire map by a scrawny little dog.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 09:31:11 am »

I'm not too sure.. had my first siege yesterday (I've been playing to and from, mostly building and designing instead of waging war)

The enemies were a group of trolls, a group of 16 mounted pikegoblins and 16 mounted bow-goblins.

The trolls killed a chained cat, I raised my drawbridge and they figured they were done for the day. The trolls left.
The goblins killed chained animals as well, I lowered the bridge to lured the bow-goblins near and raised it again. Dwarves began firing from the battlements ... and they didn't hit a single goblin, they only hit the mounts. After 3 mounts had passed out and 5 were somewhat wounded,  the goblins began retreating. The leader lingered around for a bit but then the entire squad ran.

So with only one group left I lowered the drawbridge and prepared my dwarves for a battle. The leader didn't advance, instead 7 of his troops broke off from the group and came rushing in. They fell in a few traps and were shot at, the mounts died pretty quickly and the goblins were thrown off. The siege was broken and I figured I had won! I sent the melee-dwarves out and they executed wounded mounts and goblins on the bridge, and indeed the enemy HAD retreated ... all except the leader. The goblin hammerlord "Utis Evildeer" who lead the pikemen.

He charged and killed two of my best warriors, crushed the hand of a footman and broke the legs of three footmen. With only two dwarves present and standing, the only thing that hit Utis was two bolts that barely grazed him. He finally fled and left me to collect my wounded and wonder what on earth happened.
I imagine that Utis flipped my dwarves off before running into the desert.

TL;DR: In my siege the goblins acted independent of the leader, but I interrupted their path-finding with a drawbridge more than once. IDK if that has an effect.

ps. Utis wasn't technically the last goblin. There was a pikeman mounted on a jabberer being chased around the entire map by a scrawny little dog.

That sure was a nasty goblin.

The little dog made me laugh too...