Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Fantasy Map Maker (Photoshop Action Script)  (Read 109703 times)

Runebeard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Map Maker (Photoshop Action Script)
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 11:07:47 pm »

I just rolled out Photoshop (CS3) to give this a go, and it worked right off the bat as described!  This'll be a handy little trick to have in the future.  Thanks, GFXiNXS!

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 11:18:25 pm »

This is totally kickass.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 12:03:11 am »

You know? I have a Photoshop actionscript that can convert pictures into planets for spacescapes that I made based on a tutorial I found somewhere. Works best on a elliptical (preferably a circular) selection. Getting the shadow expansion/selection is a bit process/time consuming however, but the export is clean because of it.

I think it would work great for rendering these as planets. Though the maps would be the only real hemisphere visible. I might try this program out, and make a second render of a planet with my action to show what it does.

EDIT:
You know? Add a good sepia tone, a bit of posterization, toss in a bit of intensity/contrast, and some formal writing, and we got ourselves a fancier drawn-looking map. I'll see if I can improvise some things to either optimize this process as well as make things fancier as post-processing.

EDIT EDIT:
My critique already, so far, is that there seems to be lacking some instructions as the actions are going to happen to instruct you which layer is next in the process. Like for example, my planet-making process tells you when it's okay to select a region, and then when it's time to glow, and then shadow casting is happening and etc..

I needed my layers window open to know what was next to be accessed, and I tend to have my tools hidden until used. Plus, some people may not be fully aware of what's going on unless they're experienced enough with Photoshop. So yeah, those are just about my notes so far. BTW, I noticed that this can handle PNG files just fine, and doesn't open a specific folder either, like I expected according to context. So I figure I might as well point that out.

Simply:
-BMP files aren't required, for lower processing time, compress the BMPs to PNGs first.
  -The significant reduction in size should help with little to no quality loss.
-It isn't required to be in C:\ so you can place the files wherever convenient, just remember where you placed it.
-Keep an eye on your Layers window to know what layer you need to process next, just so you won't accidentally render a biome map in the elevation map or something (as silly as that sounds).

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Turned out rather decently. Swift process working with all the layers. Now I'll need a moment to upload what I got.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Okay, here's what I got:
Spoiler: DF Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rendered map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Globe (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Papyrus Map (click to show/hide)

And my rapid-fire editing is to be expected. I tend to revise and add stuff post-posting.

The papyrus map took some tweaking to get the color overlay correct (layer style) and finding the right texture to use for embossing the papyrus effect in. No intensifying or washing out was really needed as it turns out. Just 2 (well, 3-4 if you include flattening the image first) steps as a layer style was all. Writing is optional, but Zephyr or Papyrus are decent ones to use for this type of print.

Oh yeah, it didn't automatically go to, and process, C:\ entirely, I had to select and everything on my machine. I had to load each layer individually. Just wanted to provide a heads-up for anyone that would fall into a similar case I did. Fortunately, the layer names and the fixes in the image titles match, so it wasn't too hard to line them up.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:32:30 am by Itnetlolor »

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 12:27:18 am »

I'm glad it works for those who tried it. I might touch up the process a little and include basic vegetation (not just trees) and hills. Having a bunch of post effects bundled into a folder mightn't be a bad idea...

Cripes, that's a lot of edits 0.o - Noted.

-Keep an eye on your Layers window to know what layer you need to process next, just so you won't accidentally render a biome map in the elevation map or something (as silly as that sounds).

Not quite sure where you are going with this... if everything is in the C:\ drive it should automatically load everything into the document and go from there.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:34:56 am by GFXiNXS »
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 02:11:39 am »

Any chance we'll see something like this for Gimp?
Shoes...

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 09:29:54 am »

My kingdom for an ImageMagick implementation.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 03:12:09 pm »

Whoa fscking christ that is beautiful.
Be right back.

EDIT: AWWWW YESSSS

I need to relearn the new stuff in Blender because holy crap that turned out looking very poor. Still! this has much potential. Thanks mannnnnn
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 04:02:40 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 06:11:10 pm »

thats amazing.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »

The world somehow looks smaller in 3D, like somehow you could yell across it...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 06:21:46 pm »

The isometric one looks like something out of Civ 4.
Shoes...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 06:49:56 pm »

The isometric one looks like something out of Civ 4.
Uh oh. Do I sense an idea?

Convert DF maps and sites into Civ maps. Races (at least) can be converted into separate player-controlled sites. Have fun with world domination there.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 07:11:00 pm »

Updated it with a slightly better image.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:12:40 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 08:07:14 pm »

Doesn't Google App Engine have image manipulation APIs? I should try to hack together an online map maker that would hence be platform-agnostic. Photoshop CS3 isn't free after all  8)

Not to say I don't like this, based on the screenshots. Totally k-radical.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 04:37:51 am »

Just chiming in, worked perfectly with PNG file conversions of the exported BMPs.

Spoiler: Generated Region (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pretty Map (click to show/hide)

Between DF and this actionscript, we can generate fantasy maps in minutes. This is fantastic, and has a pretty cool artsy tone to it.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 07:42:02 am »

I'm glad this thing is at least picking up a little attention, I was worried it'd end up going unnoticed.

For those people questioning about other applications being capable, I can't say that I'll be any good here. I'm happy to work with something I'm comfortable with for something that probably isn't going to be used by the masses. Going above this and learning up a whole new system that I'll probably never use again is going a bit far for me. If someone out there sees the potential for other applications, I'll happily provide the tileable textures provided they do all other work :)

I'm making some changes at the moment... nothing too drastic. Water will be textured and attractive instead of flat. Vegetation will go from heavily forested to moderately forested to scarcely forested, making the transition more flavorsome and hills will be added. I'm also making the textures properly tileable so it can pump out maps from large though to pocket worlds.
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6