Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Df being finished in 2012  (Read 3228 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Df being finished in 2012
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 03:26:58 pm »

I could care less whether it gets "feature complete" or not. It's so complex now that it's gotten to the point that any additional functionality or new content capability brings a wave of fun into each release.

I believe that, at the current rate, it would take at least eight more years for at least the things on the dev list to be knocked out. And by then, DF will be in control of making Mars habitable.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:29:16 pm by freeformschooler »

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 03:34:49 pm »

I think that we are not in fact to be Toady's mindless slaves.
Toady is a good and reasonable God. To his worshipers. He will share the world, and eventually the multiverse with us.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Trammelkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 06:14:52 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is actually a program that analyzes human behavior. As we play it stores packets of information that are then sent to a massive database. This database contains the millions of worlds that have been generated and a detailed record of the players actions in that world. 2012 is when it will have gathered enough information.

For what, you ask?

That is for us to find out.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 06:19:49 pm »

Actually, I read somewhere on either this site or the wiki that Toady expects DF to be done by 2025. Or maybe 2035. One of those two.

Either way, that's a long time, and I will be super amazing at not losing by then. Hopefully.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 06:43:26 pm »

Toady expects the game to be done when it's done. Which is to say no specific time a t all.

Via extrapolation though, there was this one guy that managed to get a prediction for DF1.0 assuming Toady continues to work at this pace (lost the thread, sorry).

It was 2038.

Realistically speaking, this may never get done. We might never see DF1.0. Even if we do, after 28 years most of us will most likely have moved on with our lives. The community might die off after a while, or Toady might lose interest after this continuous engagement. Donations may prove insufficient and he may have to slow down work, or put it on the backburner as he tries to survive. Once on the backburner it might never come off.

His dedication is not forever. From hearsay he's living off of savings too, and those will last a few more years. After that, he will have to work.

Sorry to be such a downer. It's not that I don't want to see this go gold. I just wanted to inform you guys of what can happen if this all goes pear-shaped. A lot can happen in 28 years, I guess. Maybe I'm jaded after seeing a bunch of projects end up as vapourware. :P

I love this game and I hope he'll keep working right up until the end.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 06:57:23 pm »

Pretty much don't care about when DF reaches 1.0, I'll play it anyway. Not all people become boring and lame with old age :P

Also, toady lives off savings? Wasn't the donations, uh, supposed to cover that? Were did you get that from? I don't think toady had a huge money boom some years ago and is living off said boom to this very day.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 07:05:26 pm »

Well, it took 4 years to get to over 30 percent complete. So, thats about 7.75% each year.

So yea, it looks like, it'll be another 8 years.

Then then...

Then he'll start working on magic!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 07:29:16 pm »

Via extrapolation though, there was this one guy that managed to get a prediction for DF1.0 assuming Toady continues to work at this pace (lost the thread, sorry).

It was 2038.

That was me, in this thread, and it was 2028.

EDIT:
Well, it took 4 years to get to over 30 percent complete.
Didn't he start it in 2002?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 07:31:22 pm »

Hes making 7.75% progress each year though, so how'd you come to 2028?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 07:31:59 pm »

Well, it took 4 years to get to over 30 percent complete.
Didn't he start it in 2002?

It just hit the internet in 2006.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 07:35:46 pm »

In 2012 DF will have even less FPS!

And on the DF-dying-out-idea, I think toady stated he'd release the source of DF once he lost interest and moved on to another main project didn't he?
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 07:46:12 pm »

It was 2038.

That was me, in this thread, and it was 2028.
One problem: By 2027, the version number will become 0.1xx.xx because the number of core items just doubled.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 10:43:15 pm »

One would probably struggle to survive on all the money that he gets in donations, but every so often, he gets a big pile of money in donations. Like when he got 12 grand one month.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 11:04:49 pm »

I predict it will be done on December 21st, 2012, since the world will end when DF is finished.

If we tried to take over the world we would fail because of a small coding error causing us to burst into flames passing over sewer grates or something.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 11:06:32 pm »

One would probably struggle to survive on all the money that he gets in donations, but every so often, he gets a big pile of money in donations. Like when he got 12 grand one month.
That was due to a very long awaited release, and is far from a normal rate of donations. I'm not sure what the cost of living is for Toady, but I imagine he makes enough money to not have to eat Scamps' food.

Anyway, even if Toady stops production of Dwarf Fortress tomorrow, it'll still be one of the greatest games ever. So I'm not too worried when it gets finished, or even if it gets finished.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 [2] 3