Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MAGMACATS!!  (Read 1624 times)

Shelegelah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MAGMACATS!!
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:53:57 am »

So, here's the deal... I am currently in a volcano fort. At the top of the volcano I built a platform out into the middle of the caldera, hanging over the magma tube, and designated it a pit. This, I thought, would be the most fitting way to sacrifice to Aluriel, the dwarven god of volcanoes that so many of my dwarves worship.

I tested it out with kittens, and something disturbing happened.

They floated atop the magma, completely unharmed. They survive to this day, just sitting there... staring.

So what gives? Is magma bugged when you fall down a z-level onto it?

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MAGMACATS!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:56:51 am »

Clearly, you must mix with water to make obsidian cats.

When I pitted animals into volcanoes, they all fell through the lava unharmed and burned up when the hit the SMR

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 02:00:05 am »

Yeah, I've seen this too. Pitted a mule foal into my volcano a while ago. All I got was 'His head is melted.' 'The Stray Mule Foal (Tame) has bled to death.' Corpse vanishes - presumably down the volcano.
くコ:彡

Shelegelah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:02:53 am »

The weird thing is that my first kitten died no problem, but the last two just started floating, with no limb damage whatsoever. I dropped another kitten in and it landed on top of one of the other two, causing it to instantly die, as it should.

Presumably it pushed it down into the next z-level of magma (if that's how it works), but that implies that the cats are perfectly capable of swimming in magma.

Strange.

And yet... How to weaponize them...

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 03:05:34 am »

And yet... How to weaponize them...

Bauxite bridges that launch the magma-cats at your enemies?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 03:07:54 am »

Throw caged goblins in.
Throw hydra in.
Watch BEST DARN FIGHT ARENA BATTLE EVER!!! Loser gets instantly destroyed in magma.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 04:37:26 am »

I think the reason that things go all the way down to the bottom before dying is that magma and water are simply existing in empty space rather than true liquids with actual form.  So, falling through a liquid is treated like falling through empty space.  This is why things go straight to the SMR at the bottom of the magma sea instead of hitting the top and melting/burning there.

I don't know what the deal with your cats is though, so I can't help you.

Shelegelah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 06:12:26 am »

The mystery of the magmacats... They must have perfected some kind of limited levitation devices as a self-preservation failsafe... I must tap into this.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 06:20:56 am »

Just like rayman...

Mahou Shoujo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 06:30:16 am »

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 06:55:08 am »

I for one welcome our new magma-surfing kitten overlords.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:04:20 am »

Is there any chance you strapped pieces of buttered toast to your cats' backs and then, like, forgot about it?

Shelegelah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 07:07:34 am »

Here's a nifty little update for you...

I reloaded my fortress and they all fell into the caldera as one. The delicious stench of roasting kitten filled  my halls for weeks.

We may never know what caused these particular kittens to manifest such strange and mysterious powers, but they are at peace, now. May the magma crabs be merciful on whatever remains of them.

(As a side note, are magma crabs difficult to kill?)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:14 am »

This happened to me with puppies in 40d, well sort of. the fell down landed on the outskirts of the volcano. Eventually I let them out out of "OK if you are just going to sit there I'm going to let you live, you've earned it." they get dumped into my animal stockpile. and I think it was when I next loaded the game they all spontaneously combusted, killing everything in the animal pit.

That made me very angry.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 10:32:52 am »

On-load glitches/bugs are getting common for me, on my "hermit fortress" (which was actually the starting 7) I had struck all three caverns and the demonic fortress, so every time I load, in the exact same area of the second cavern, a piece of floor would be randomly generated, then it would come crashing down into the sea of water below. This happened every time I loaded.
Pages: [1] 2