Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Evaporating water glitch  (Read 911 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Evaporating water glitch
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:09 pm »

I read about this somewhere on the forums, but for the life of me, I can't find it again. I think you had to make something of a material which will burn forever, then drop it in a body of water and it all evaporates. I ask because I want to make an undersea tower. So, what I would like to know is:

1. Does this still work?
2. What sort of items would work for this?
3. What's a good way of catching the thing on fire and then releasing it into the water, but without creating lots of obsidian or dooming my fortress (Not that I'm completely against creating an undersea obsidian tower, however, I would not be able to make windows like I intend to).

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Evaporating water glitch
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:40:06 pm »

1. I don't think this still works.

2. The original idea was set a flammable artifact on fire (something made of coal or lignite etc). The artifact refuses to be destroyed so it will burn forever. I've never heard of this being done with wood or cloth, so I don't know if ALL flammable artifacts apply.

3. If this DOES still work, you can make a small chamber over the water containing the artifact on a floor hatch, with magma drainage. Set the artifact alight with magma, drain the magma and drop the artifact through the hatch.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:42:38 pm by Acperience »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:50:04 pm »

Well damn, guess I'll just need a better drainage system.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:11:30 pm »

There are a few things you have to do before you can go emptying oceans with everburning flames.
1. Don't use an artifact. It will be a waste if it burns up, or if it really does burn forever you'll never have an underwater paradise.
2. Use something made entirely of carbon (diamonds, b-coal, lignite, graphite). They burn for years and are relatively cheap.
3. Put it in a magma proof bin, that way no water can touch the material and extinguish it.
4. Be prepared to have the game run at a max of 1-5 FPS while the fire still burns, because the moving water, temperature interactions, and smoke animations all take gratuitous amounts of processing.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:30:22 pm »

2. Use something made entirely of carbon (diamonds, b-coal, lignite, graphite). They burn for years and are relatively cheap.

Actually, it'll only burn for about 9 months - I've tested this with charcoal bars and with graphite boulders and it's fairly consistent.

3. Put it in a magma proof bin, that way no water can touch the material and extinguish it.
This step is critical - without the bin, any water (even rain) will extinguish the item.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.