Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This dwarf had better not ever become the mayor.  (Read 3315 times)

Adriaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This dwarf had better not ever become the mayor.
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 08:38:44 pm »

I have a dwarf who prefers to consume sunshine.  Yup, it just says "sunshine."

Sunshine is booze made from sun berries ;)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 01:39:19 am »

Querns are pretty damn awesome. They propel my cloth/dye industry. In the 8 months I've been playing DF I've not once attempted anything that requires power, and only once or twice used a screw pump for irrigation. I don't know what advantages, if any, millstones have over querns, but I'm quite happy to stick with what I know for now.
くコ:彡

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 01:43:25 am »

Not to worry, she'll go for 2 conglomerate querns first. (Do people actually USE querns?)

Yes, I usually have about 4 per fort running constantly.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 02:10:17 am »

Well, millstones use regular power instead of dwarf power so your dwarves get tired when they use millstones but not querns. I presume they stop querning when they get tired but millstoners can mill as long as you need them to. Unless they need to do something else.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 02:27:26 am »

Sunshine is a type of beer brewed from a rare berry. I forget which, but it is the rarest drink in the game, and the most pricey.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 03:05:59 am »

Costs a little over 1,000 a barrel from the elves. Good drinking!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 04:56:51 am »

Sunshine is a type of beer brewed from a rare berry. I forget which, but it is the rarest drink in the game, and the most pricey.

That'd be the sun berries.

I always hear that sun berries and valley herbs are rare but I get them from caravans all the time.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 04:58:53 am »

I think they mean rare to find, rather then trade for. Although I find them common enough in good biomes.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 06:01:11 am »

If you ever see sun berries on a wagon, sell whatever you can to buy them, because you can get seeds from brewing tem into sunshine and then plant them for megaprofits.

As for querns, I use them to make dyes.  Dyed clothes are worth loads of money, and make dwarves who wear them happier
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 06:12:44 am »

Trap a trader wagon, watch it scuttle, collect wood.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

The_Countess

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 09:19:15 am »

Well, millstones use regular power instead of dwarf power so your dwarves get tired when they use millstones but not querns. I presume they stop querning when they get tired but millstoners can mill as long as you need them to. Unless they need to do something else.

i think you mean that the other way around.

also the description says millstones are quicker, al thou I have never made any !! science !! comparisons.

In the 8 months I've been playing DF I've not once attempted anything that requires power, and only once or twice used a screw pump for irrigation. I don't know what advantages, if any, millstones have over querns, but I'm quite happy to stick with what I know for now.
that's not the dwarven way!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:21:03 am by The_Countess »

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 09:38:45 am »

Yeah, I never tested it out myself but it makes sense millstones are faster than querns. I mean, compared to having to turn the huge grinder rock yourself, wouldn't it be faster to grind your material with an auto-spinning stone? I've never had a map where I have 0 wind so far.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2]