Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artifact leather amour  (Read 1913 times)

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact leather amour
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:53:43 pm »

Had a possessed dwarf just make some. I'm not complaing but is worth wearing instead of going for steel amour or should I just forget about it and go for steel amour.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact leather amour
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 04:54:52 pm »

Give it to an archer or (if possible) a hunter.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:44:00 pm »

Leather is very good against blunt weapons.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 05:47:25 pm »

Thanks for the feed back. I am also curious has this compares to my standard issue steel amour.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 05:48:18 pm »

I think masterwork leather armor is equal to base quality iron, so I'm not sure what artifact quality is equal to.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:54:41 pm »

Thanks for the feed back. I am also curious has this compares to my standard issue steel amour.
It doesn't. Artifacts are as good as masterworks of the same material, except that they give an additional bonus to the user's combat skill (for armor, that probably means Armor User, for shields it's Shield User, and for weapons it's the appropriate weapon skill). Since Armor User doesn't actually directly do anything for combat, artifact armors aren't significantly better than a masterwork of the same material. Materwork leather armor isn't anywhere near as good as even no-quality steel armor, so artifact leather armor doesn't compare to steel armor, either.

I'd give you the quote from Toady on how artifacts worked, but unfortunately the wiki is down again and I don't know exactly where on the forums it is.

I think masterwork leather armor is equal to base quality iron, so I'm not sure what artifact quality is equal to.
MW leather used to be equal to base-quality iron, but with the materials rework that came with 31.01, it is generally agreed to not be anymore. In version 40d and earlier, materials had a simple percentage effectiveness, with iron as the baseline 100%, and masterwork-quality items doubled that effectiveness, so double-effectiveness Masterwork on 50% effectiveness Leather was equal to iron. Now, however, that is no longer the case, and materials' effectiveness is no longer so simple.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 06:46:11 pm »

I believe leather armor can be worn under chain and plate armor, though. And since Armor User skill pretty much means how fast you can move with your armor on the artifact boost from an underlayer of leather could be useful. Plus it'd be something cool for your favorite military dwarf to have under their steel.

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 06:49:57 pm »

Leather armor can be worn with chain, but not plate. If I remember properly, since I can't check the wiki, both leather armor and plate armor are shaped, meaning you can only have on one of those, so you can't have leather and plate for the same reason you can't have 2 plate.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:10:40 pm »

Armor User does do something for combat. Weapon research has shown that dwarves with high armor skill tend to not be injured nearly as often. They probably know how to turn with the blow better so it skids off or something.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 06:38:35 am »

I believe leather armor can be worn under chain and plate armor, though. And since Armor User skill pretty much means how fast you can move with your armor on the artifact boost from an underlayer of leather could be useful. Plus it'd be something cool for your favorite military dwarf to have under their steel.

Almost right, leather armor can be worn over chain in the same way that plate can, but as mentioned you can only wear one "shaped" armor piece. That usually means a breastplate OR leather armor over the top.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 11:56:06 am »

In this case that trade off wont be worth it.  you'd want mail and bplate over mail and leathers.

As said, stick it on someone who has a leather uniform.  Chances are you outfit your marksdwarves with at least some metal (a lot of folks seem to).  If they cant use it then send it toward a hunter who will be hard-coded into leather.

Remember that artifact pieces can only be claimed/worn by legendary dwarves.  Im not certain exactly how this mechanic works, not sure which skills count to unlock this ability...but your average joe wont touch an artifact
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 12:24:15 pm »

Put it on your Captain of the Guard with a cotton candy hammer or wooden crossbow. Then he owns something masterwork and is happy, and he won't murder your dwarves trying to deal !!Justice!!.

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 01:18:42 pm »

I want my captain of the guard to be wielding a !!hammer!! now. BBurning justice is at least twice as deadly as regular, seeing as the target and wielder melt to death.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 01:32:21 pm »

I can never help but gear my CotG up properly.  I know he should have a cottoncandy hammer, but he leads a squad during seiges so in practice its steel. 

If my dwarves dont like it......well they shoulda got cracking on Urist McMayor's slade furniture now shouldnt they?:P
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 01:58:32 pm »

"Unnngh... Can't... Lift... Rock."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2