Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making Steel  (Read 711 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Making Steel
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:20:49 pm »

So apparently there's some kind of metal that i can mix with marble to make steel.  Where might i find this metal and what is it called?  Sorry i cant access wiki else idve looked it up >.<
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making Steel
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 04:26:56 pm »

It's not that you can combine marble, but that the marble layer contains veins/clusters of Calcite, which is a flux stone.

You need to find any iron ore (Magnetite, limonite or.... hematite?)
You need a piece of charcoal or some coke. (hereafter called fuel)
Use that first bit of fuel to make more fuel (bituminous coal or lignite is needed)
Use the fuel to smelt the iron ore into iron.
Smelt the iron with the flux to make pig iron.
Smelt the pig iron with another iron bar (and some more flux?) to make steel.

Yes, it's complicated, yes it's expensive. It's also one of the best items in the game.

(I may be wrong on part of this, especially which steps need flux, as I'm only just playing with it myself for the first time now)

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 04:31:26 pm »

Here are the raw materials:

2x any iron ore (magnetite, hematite, limonite)
2x any flux stone (chalk, limestone, marble, calcite, dolomite)
6x any fuel (charcoal from wood, coke from coal or lignite) OR 2x any fuel + magma to power smelters (still need the fuel for 2 of the steps even if using magma smelter)

process
use 2x fuel (or magma) and 2x iron ore to make 2x iron bars
use 1x iron bars, 2x fuel (or 1x fuel and magma) and 1x flux stone to make 1x pig iron bars
use 1x iron bars, 1x pig iron bars, 2x fuel (or 1x fuel and magma), and 1x flux stone to make 2x steel bars

sidenote: fuel no longer looks like a word after typing and correcting all of this.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 04:33:48 pm by twilightdusk »
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 04:33:27 pm »

2x any flux stone (chalk, limestone, marble, calcite, one other I can't remember off the top of my head)

Dolomite?

And also, yay, I remembered the process!

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 04:33:57 pm »

2x any flux stone (chalk, limestone, marble, calcite, one other I can't remember off the top of my head)

Dolomite?

yes, thank you.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:29:29 pm »

It's not that you can combine marble, but that the marble layer contains veins/clusters of Calcite, which is a flux stone.

You need to find any iron ore (Magnetite, limonite or.... hematite?)
You need a piece of charcoal or some coke. (hereafter called fuel)
Use that first bit of fuel to make more fuel (bituminous coal or lignite is needed)
Use the fuel to smelt the iron ore into iron.
Smelt the iron with the flux to make pig iron.
Smelt the pig iron with another iron bar (and some more flux?) to make steel.

Yes, it's complicated, yes it's expensive. It's also one of the best items in the game.

(I may be wrong on part of this, especially which steps need flux, as I'm only just playing with it myself for the first time now)

how come i havent found any iron ore yet if im on the marble layer?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 05:38:47 pm »

Because marble layers are metamorphic, and you can only find iron ore in sedimentary and igneous extrusive layers (the former can contain all 3 types, while the latter can only get hematite).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Justin In Oz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 06:37:42 pm »

Because marble layers are metamorphic, and you can only find iron ore in sedimentary and igneous extrusive layers (the former can contain all 3 types, while the latter can only get hematite).
This gave me such a warm smile. DF is the only game I have ever played where geology knowledge is applicable and in delightful way too!