Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrible?

Very!
- 145 (54.7%)
A bit.
- 57 (21.5%)
Mehish.
- 24 (9.1%)
Not really.
- 11 (4.2%)
Not at all!
- 28 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 263

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrifying?  (Read 39655 times)

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is The World Of Dwarf Fortress Horrifying?
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2010, 01:49:15 pm »

Well it sure defies gravity...
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2010, 02:16:06 pm »

Also, Cthulhu, The Yith, The Elder Things (?), The Mi-Go, The Shoggoths, Dagon and Hydra, Nyarlathotep (?)...

Has anyone tried modding shoggoths into the game?  :D

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2010, 02:30:37 pm »

Toady has, they are called forgotten beasts.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2010, 03:12:40 pm »

The world Of Dwarf Fortress is a terrifying place. The most glorious forts last about a decade. And they all share the same fate.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2010, 04:55:15 pm »

The world itself isn't very horrifying. Not much more than what we call the real world anyway.. it is made horrifying by the players. Neither the game world nor the game mechanics force anybody to breed mermaids for butchering, encase elves in magma or dig too deep for their own good. If you were so inclined (though admittedly, very few DF-players are), you could make a fort where everybody does what he likes, has a luxurious room, lots of food and everything else he could need. It isn't very hard to do, but somewhat boring, once everything works.
Dwarf Fortress players are positively terrifying... that one of the points I like about this community ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2010, 04:57:07 pm »

They wouldn't put the demons down their if they didn't want us to dig them out.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2010, 05:46:55 pm »

Dwarves have this instinctive drive to build insane, dangerous things, and can barely breed fast enough to replace the deaths due to absurd subterranean exploration, failed megaprojects, and apparently harmless irrigation systems. They invite their own horrors to the world. But they're alright, they're easily cheered up by quality seating arrangements and a chest of drawers of their very own.

I would imagine that elves and humans lead lives that aren't spent perpetually swinging for grip whilst they hang over the dark precipice of oblivion. Goblins and kobolds... well, even we have the Third World. Is it so different?

Megabeasts make it sort of worse. But then, I'm sure the beasts are having fun, so hedonic calculus and all, I guess it balances out.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2010, 06:00:41 pm »

What's wrong with being the owner of an airship dedicated to the Blood God, serving as his "fist of justice", created with the blood of at least 350 of it's engineers varnishing it?

What's wrong with that is that your 'airship' doesn't fly.
Oh really?

Give it time.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2010, 07:01:35 pm »

Holy crap!

Teach me how.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2010, 06:47:36 am »

It's a trick of the camera! He just moved the view down, the construction is stationary <3

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2010, 07:20:45 pm »

*Face palm*
It's not a DF thing, its a Lovecraft thing. Or atleast a Cthulu thing, I think even though Ithaqau was in the mythos, it wasn't Lovecraft. Maybe, it could have been him.
Somebody needs to make it a DF thing. XD

Agreed. We need a full on Lovecraftian mod, complete with Elder Gods, crazed cultists, horrible half-breed monsters, Mi-go, and Deep Ones. Also needs to have forts that are essentially dwarven versions of Arkham, Dunwich, and any other place from the Mythos that currently slips my mind. Bonus points if Ulthar and the rest of the Dreamlands are included.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2010, 07:54:53 pm »

Maybe not "horrifying", but definitely "Terrifying" in places :D
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2010, 07:58:14 pm »

Uncaring gods who do not care about the casualties, no heaven but a hell, insane nobles who ask for cups made out of the unminable stuff that cover Hell, forgotten beasts that make your eyes rot out or worse, ghosts that wander around endlessly, that cannot get a grave marker because the entire fortress is dead, dwarves that barely survive in a hellish existence, elves that get magma, mermaids that get butchered and their remains sold, and a ton of other horrifying things!

This paragraph would be great as lyrics for a heavy metal song.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2010, 08:00:01 pm »

Uncaring gods who do not care about the casualties, no heaven but a hell, insane nobles who ask for cups made out of the unminable stuff that cover Hell, forgotten beasts that make your eyes rot out or worse, ghosts that wander around endlessly, that cannot get a grave marker because the entire fortress is dead, dwarves that barely survive in a hellish existence, elves that get magma, mermaids that get butchered and their remains sold, and a ton of other horrifying things!

This paragraph would be great as lyrics for a heavy metal song.

By Jove you're right!

I've decided to make a Dwarf Fortress themed metal band. Despite the fact that I can neither sing nor play any instrument. I call bass!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7