Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Trap Confusion  (Read 1273 times)

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Animal Trap Confusion
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:00:18 pm »

So... i created some animal trap and my trapper managed to capture some vermin (a lizard, a rat and a roach...). the traps are now in my animal stockpile.

how can i free the animal from the trap??:)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Animal Trap Confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 02:06:12 pm »

You can't simply let them free.  Dwarves refuse to just let vermin-sized animals wander around loose.

You can make them available for adoption, in which case a dwarf who likes that kind of animal may adopt it.  That dwarf will take his new pet and carry it around on his person everywhere he goes.

Alternately, you can build a cage, and then assign those tame vermin to that cage.  Dwarves who like that kind of animal will get a happy thought when they see it.  Dwarves who dislike that kind of animal will get an unhappy thought when they see it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 02:15:39 pm »

You should be able to turn the little devils into delicious Dwarven sausage links.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 02:30:07 pm »

You should be able to turn the little devils into delicious Dwarven sausage links.

How??

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 02:31:34 pm »

Oh, sorry, I was speaking hypothetically. I was saying that one -should- be able to turn them into food, but I do not know of a way to do this. >:

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 03:00:38 pm »

At the moment vermin creatures (what you're catching in those animal traps) can only become food in an emergency when a starving dwarf eats one live and becomes very unhappy as a result.  Perhaps in the future Toady will let our dwarves use a mortar and pestle to grind vermin into edible paste like certain night creatures do now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 08:50:39 pm »

Be sure to tame them fairly quickly since dwarves have a bad tendency to grab untamed vermin for a quick snack that only seems to increase the more rare the vermin in question is.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:08:34 pm »

You can tame them OR you can actually let them loose by pitting them. I did this to my queen who hated rats by putting a hole in her ceiling, locking the door, and pouring in four tame rats. I could see them flickering about the room with great speed and the queen feeling miserable. At that point I got distracted and didn't play for a couple weeks, so I don't know if dwarves will recapture vermin automatically if they have access to them or what. You may have to cage them to corral them again.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.