Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you deal with the gems?

Leave them where they are. They're not worth the trouble.
- 52 (43.7%)
Mine them out, who cares if the shape is shifted.
- 15 (12.6%)
Mine them out and then mine out a similar structure on the other side to achieve symmetry.
- 7 (5.9%)
Mine them out and build walls so the smoothed walls are symmetrical again.. ignore the hole on the other side.
- 45 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Symmetry-breaking Jewelry in the walls [POLL]  (Read 3784 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Symmetry-breaking Jewelry in the walls [POLL]
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:58:50 am »

So you've thought up a nice symmetrical design for your fortress and your dwarves are happily digging away. The rooms emerge but, to your horror, your perfectly symmetrical and beautiful creation has valuable gems in the walls!

If you mine these gems the whole thing will be ruined! How do you deal with it?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Symmetry-breaking Jewelry in the walls [POLL]
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:11:26 am »

Mine them out, then build a magma pump and a water pump to fill the area with obsidian. Problem solved.

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:18:27 am »

What can be better than smoothed, legendary-engraved gem walls?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:21:31 am »

Gems can be found in abundance when you preform large mining operations. I don't feel that it is neccesary to change my design to accomodate for their presence. Then again most of my construction is done above ground so I have more room to work with.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:25:11 am »

Depends. Rarer gems that I'd like to have? I dig 'em out and leave the room misshapen. Gems I already have truckloads of, like moss agates? I leave them where they are and engrave on them.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

hbar_squared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 11:32:40 am »

Leave 'em in.  Between the serrated disks and the extreme overabundance of minerals, wealth is not hard to come by.  Symmetry, however, is a beautiful thing.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:35:46 am »

If you mine these gems the whole thing will be ruined! How do you deal with it?
Psh, symmetry. Real dwarven designers made rooms intentionally asymmetrical. Symmetry breeds boring long straight halls and square box rooms and generic square castles. Asymmetry breeds wonderful caves and grottos and free-flowing castle walls and villages and truly masterful art.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 11:37:57 am »

Mine them out and throw a wall up. But I guess it depends on if you're looking for symmetry in color as well as shape.

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 01:34:48 pm »

You actually WANT gems? I can't get rid of the things fast enough. I'm planning on a new level of OCD for future forts. Channel out the landscape and construct the fort underground!

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 02:21:06 pm »

Mine them out and throw a wall up. But I guess it depends on if you're looking for symmetry in color as well as shape.

I can only dp this on rooms I'm not planning on engraving- the mismatched black and white background colors drive me nuts.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:33:34 pm »

I can only dp this on rooms I'm not planning on engraving- the mismatched black and white background colors drive me nuts.

It does me too, and its one of the reasons I don't do much engraving. I'll only engrave dining rooms and noble quarters, and half the time since minerals are so abundant they give my dining rooms a rainbow colored feel I'll tear out all the walls and replace them with platinum or gold block walls. The only forts nowadays that I'll have a major engraving industry going on are the ones where I do a lot of obsidian casting.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 03:06:11 pm »

I usually ignore gems up near the surface, because the dwarfs trip over them once they reach the caverns. But if I'm short of iron, I'll dig out veins of limonite or hematite or whatever in the upper layers, since that's where iron's found, then wall it off.

And yes, I do wall it off with the same rock that the rest of the walls are, so the color matches.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 03:25:04 pm »

Mine it all out, leave the messy architecture damage alone. I've gone as far as memorising the more valueable gems. The gem industry still has my interest while the other industries (I've messed about with all of them) sorta became "do it if it's available but don't force it". Well, there's a few other industries that hold my attention too, but all gems must be collected in my forts.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

DasGuntLord01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 03:40:31 pm »

I tend to leave them be, since in any given embark there's bound to be more gems waiting around to dig up.  It's not a big deal to leave them be.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 03:55:52 pm »

If it's a vein of something I want, I mine it out and fill the hole with constructed walls to keep the "smooth" appearance.  Otherwise, I just smooth over them.
Pages: [1] 2