Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Toady’s Christmas present to us..  (Read 4346 times)

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toady’s Christmas present to us..
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 11:12:34 am »

there is no real gain in fixing this throwaway code which was added as a limited prototype in the first place.
Fitst: old bugs may and will have influence on other parts of game, making harder to create these parts, and in future harder to rewrite current code. Workarounds and interdependencies (when one feature depends on buggy behaviour of another feature) are real pain in the ass.
Second: for some time, Toady is focused more on adding new features, not rewriting old code. This introduces even more bugs. In spirit of current practice, only some of these new bugs will get fixed. Final result is more and more old and new bugs, layers of bugs, strata upon strata of bugs... *shrudder*

So no, being placeholder code is no excuse, especially if this placeholder will be present for months if not years, interacting with rest of game that is developed in meantime.

hint: it's because we don't care.
I know it very well. I consider it suicidal in long run, but ah well. I cannot influence Toady nor other playes, I can only voice my humble opinion on this topic.

This opinion is "If you care about DF in long run, you should pressure Toady to do bugfixing before adding new features". I know, not gonna happen. And with this Fun, optimistic accent, I will shut up now.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 11:19:55 am »

If toady gave us a christmas present it would be a giant santa claus, 1000 times the size of a bronze colossus, that's completely unkillable, breaths out some sort of festive cheer that melts dwarves and comes as straight thing as you dig into anything.
Blargh.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 11:28:05 am »

there is no real gain in fixing this throwaway code which was added as a limited prototype in the first place.
Fitst: old bugs may and will have influence on other parts of game, making harder to create these parts, and in future harder to rewrite current code. Workarounds and interdependencies (when one feature depends on buggy behaviour of another feature) are real pain in the ass.
Second: for some time, Toady is focused more on adding new features, not rewriting old code. This introduces even more bugs. In spirit of current practice, only some of these new bugs will get fixed. Final result is more and more old and new bugs, layers of bugs, strata upon strata of bugs... *shrudder*

So no, being placeholder code is no excuse, especially if this placeholder will be present for months if not years, interacting with rest of game that is developed in meantime.

hint: it's because we don't care.
I know it very well. I consider it suicidal in long run, but ah well. I cannot influence Toady nor other playes, I can only voice my humble opinion on this topic.

This opinion is "If you care about DF in long run, you should pressure Toady to do bugfixing before adding new features". I know, not gonna happen. And with this Fun, optimistic accent, I will shut up now.

It is like this since DF was first released. Toady never fixes all the bugs before adding new features - he is always moving on. He already made clear thar he does so because he wants to have fun while coding - when it isn't fun to him anymore, he is more likely to stop.

Occasionally, he will come to a feature where that bug is relevant and will fix it. simple as that. It may take years, but he will fix it. And he is always fixing really game breaking bugs all the time post-releases.

So your humble opinion is based on a very superficial analysis based on your selfish desire of playing a finished bug-free game; not on the fact, told on DF talks and posts by Toady himself, that the real fact determining wheter or not he will finish this game is the fact he is having fun with it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2010, 11:43:48 am »

So your humble opinion is based on a very superficial analysis based on your selfish desire of playing a finished bug-free game; not on the fact, told on DF talks and posts by Toady himself, that the real fact determining wheter or not he will finish this game is the fact he is having fun with it.

more to the point, trolling this thread is even more annoying.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 02:16:30 pm »

Monk12 has completed a mysterious construction!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Merry Beardmas, Toady!

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 05:16:05 pm »

Hohoho. If not for Yuletide, we will have omelet.. er... eggs for Easter! So it's not like we shall be left wanting!

---

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2010, 12:41:47 pm »

I managed to reach Toady for a comment on release demands...

Merry Christmas everyone!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2010, 02:34:54 pm »

Very funny. I laughed, nay... guffawed.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 05:36:46 pm »

more to the point, trolling this thread is even more annoying.

Who exactly is trolling here?  Madciol's first post may have been a bit acrimonious, but expresses a perfectly valid opinion about what would be a lovely Christmas surprise.  Wouldn't you be happy to have a version with fewer bugs, too?  His opinion was challenged, and he supported it with a rational argument.  On the other side, we've got people being just as acrimonious telling him to get out.  Is that somehow Christmasier?

While this is also an important consideration, it does not make Madciol's analysis superficial or based on selfish desire.  In fact his analysis appears to be based on programming experience.  That he also desires a push for bug fixes so the game will be more enjoyable for him is his motivation for expressing this as a Christmas wish.  How can you take exception to that?

Personally, I'd be happy to have new features, but even happier to have better playability.  And I think this would be good for the project because better playability makes play testing more fun, which makes development as a whole more enjoyable for the remainder of the project.  But Toady clearly isn't me.

Trouserman has been happy lately.  He is quite pleased with creating a dwarven holiday project recently.  He has been satisfied at work lately.  He admired a very fine game feature lately.  He was annoyed by bugs.  He was forced to endure an awkward user interface.  He was comforted by a pet lately.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 09:33:28 pm »

Very funny. I laughed, nay... guffawed.

I bow to the master.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 09:26:44 pm »

oh please, this is a one man project, toady is never ever going to fix a bug on a section of the game which is going to have a major code rewrite!

No, I'm talking about features which aren't placeholders and just were the subject of a "major code rewrite".

combat bugs? there is the combat rewrite coming down in the near future, why spend a month on fixing combat bugs when a month could be used to move toward the rewrite?

I'm talking about the things that were just rewritten. The materials/combat/body/tissue rewrites have serious bugs/flaws to them which do not fall under the umbrella of some hypothetical rewrite. The fact of the matter here is that when Toady implements new systems, they tend to be a little buggy/quirky/off, which is probably expected, and I just wish a little more time were spent polishing those up and fixing things before moving on to new feature development. I'm not saying this because I expect anything out of a free product. I'm saying this because I think it would make for better development, and a better experience for the players.

I understand your point about "placeholder code", to some degree, but placeholder code isn't what I'm referring to in the slightest.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 11:12:12 pm »

That is the best MS Paint drawing I've ever seen.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 02:49:37 am »

There is a special forum for bugs, discuss them there.

I WANT MY CHRISTMAS PILE OF CHRISTMAS ELVEN CORPSES NOW! HERE! :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 08:32:46 am »

There is a special forum for bugs, discuss them there.

We aren't making bug reports. We're discussing the development of the game insofar as bugs are concerned, and other things similar to bugs to varying degrees. There is a difference.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 11:36:31 am »

Even so, this is not the thread for that discussion. It may have started here, but that is not a reason to continue it.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4