Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

At what point does your population begin to slow down your computer?

1-50
- 5 (14.7%)
50-100
- 16 (47.1%)
100-150
- 8 (23.5%)
150-200
- 1 (2.9%)
200+
- 4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Community poll on population lag  (Read 521 times)

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
Community poll on population lag
« on: December 15, 2010, 05:52:13 am »

This is a generalized poll too see where the DF community lands regarding the relation between population levels and lag.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Community poll on population lag
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:15:13 am »

I can only guess because it depends on how many caverns I have breeched and so on. And the number increases with time as does the number of dwarves.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:44:53 am »

I usually drop from 100 fps to 80ish when I have 20-30 dwarves, and a corresponding loss of 5-10 fps for every 10 dwarves after that.  I currently have almost 120 dwarves and if I'm lucky I can get up to 30, but usually the counter sits at 20ish.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:42:47 am »

at 80-100 I start to struggle to maintain 20-30 fps. This is why I cap migrants at 100 and keep my animal populations under control.

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:22:22 am »

I'm starting to think my fps lag has more to do with the fact that I love to breach all the caverns and find the magma sea ASAP.  It seems that dwarf influx doesn't reduce FPS as much as those things. 

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 01:20:10 pm »

I haven't had any noticeable lag on my main machine yet - but then I haven't reached a pop of +60 dwarves yet either. ::)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 01:51:13 pm »

The FPS drop I get is on average 0 to .4 per dwarf, although the majority of my dwarfs live and die inside the fortress outside of the woodcutters and fisherdwarfs. The most lag inducing thing I can find in the game is large groups of breeding animals (cats, dogs, goats, horses, donkeys, and mules) all unrestrained, large (10k+) piles of stone laying about, large water/magma works, and the horrible cavern layers. I use a vanilla copy of DF with Phoebes graphics set.

For reference, I'm on an HP Mini, CPU Intel(R) Atom(TM) N270 @ 1.60GHz with a huge 1 GB of RAM. All physical memory is given priority for DF and DT. The processor is actually quite competent and cute, but this is about the worst system you can have for DF.

Of course, with a dual-core processor, 6 GB of RAM, and a bit of hyperthreading you will never lag with DF. (Catsplosions included)
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!