Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turtle Power, Except with Frogs?  (Read 548 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turtle Power, Except with Frogs?
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:57:42 am »

With the fall of my fortress, I've decided to return with my Imperial adventurer, you know, to assess damages, mourn the fallen and whatnot.. but, to my surprise...

One month after it's collapse into anarchy and starvation, Berad Outpost's (now called "Worried Gutter," after the cave it was built atop) dining hall is inhabited by friendly, pizza-eating amphibian men (but only because I can't remember what the Battletoads ate)!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And what's really bizarre, is that after they come up from the well (which had cavern access) they seem to congregate in the areas I designated as meeting places! It's like the run the place now, not to say they haven't been very hospitable hosts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There were two amphibian civilizations on this map, and the only one I encountered (and eradicated) was hostile. Can anyone confirm this as a feature or a bug?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Aussiemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Well... now what?
    • View Profile
Re: Turtle Power, Except with Frogs?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 02:25:19 am »

Wow, I've never heard of this happening before! Could you provide the save?

So cool!
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:34:38 am »

This is pretty cool.  The animalmen being neutral to adventurers isn't new, but them moving into your fort and going to your meeting spaces was unknown I think.  Nice find!  Can you ask them if you can stay the night, or just if they want to fight alongside you?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 07:09:04 pm »

This is pretty cool.  The animalmen being neutral to adventurers isn't new, but them moving into your fort and going to your meeting spaces was unknown I think.  Nice find!  Can you ask them if you can stay the night, or just if they want to fight alongside you?

If you ask them anything that normally requires the NPC to be at "home," they will just request you ask again when they return home (wherever that is). I copied the save file, then went on adventuring, and returned later to find the place empty, and was a little disappointed, but decided to explore a bit more for those iron weapons I had left behind. Sure enough, after resting a night inside the fort walking around for about ten minutes, there comes the gang, pathing up from the hatch beside the well.

As far as I can tell, they act like they are scripted to hang around certain meeting or traffic areas rather than free roam like animals, and since the the game considers the fortress part of the cave, they make use of it's designations. Which is great, and extremely handy for adventurers on large maps with fewer cities between A and B, but plenty of caves. Another thing I noticed is that after joining you the game names the previously nameless cavefolk.

Time to build more cave outposts, and unleash the love! Also, I will upload the copy file tonight. :)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 08:21:33 pm »

Graah! This is such an awesome story!

Perhaps the chieftain offers his daughter after you stay there for a while..?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.