Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting Volcano  (Read 1121 times)

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting Volcano
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:13:19 am »

So, I embarked on a glacial volcano, pretty cool place, marked as Joyous Wilds (not that it matters much on a glacier).  I embarked once after accidentally hitting "Play Now," so I went back and reclaimed, which is why there is a second wagon.  Anyway, looks like a pretty cool volcano, and my dwarves conveniently started right on its rim.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, I figure I'll go see where the lava is.  I'm going down Z-levels, when suddenly:

It goes through the caverns?  That's kinda weird, but I guess it could happen, since normally the tube goes down to the magma sea.  So, I continue my search for the lava, when I find a bit more than I bargained for:

Below that is hidden, so I have no idea what's going to happen when I unpause.  If it hasn't opened up the circus, it's possible that I could actually play this if the magma fills normally.  This would actually be pretty cool, since I could just wall off the open part in the caverns and embark there.

And for anyone who asks, I only put in one cavern layer since I never use the other two, so they are just extra processing I don't care about.

Anyway, I'd love to upload this to the map site, but I can't remember the address.  If someone could link it I'll get the .zip I made up asap.

UPDATE:  I unpaused, and it looks like it just ends at the bottom of the sea.  So, the magma sea is filling it in, no FPS issues, no circus (though there is one, for later possibly).  As a side note, when I was looking for a site, I was thinking about how funny it would be if I happened to find a glitched site.

Another note, I generated 4096 years of history to see all the different possible engravings, so we'll see how that goes.

UPDATE 2:  It looks like the caverns are devoid of mud, which may be problematic, though there is a lake, so I can make some mud.  Luckily the space before the volcano tube is considered outside, so there is an ice wall between the lake and a fall into the magma sea.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:40:42 am by Namfuak »

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Volcano
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 01:22:55 am »

there's a bug tracker issue related to this. It has to be a glitch no matter how you look at it, I've gotten volcanos like this before too, it's annoying when you embark on one because you want surface lava and then it all just drains into the magma sea before you even get there  >:(
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 01:27:52 am »

there's a bug tracker issue related to this. It has to be a glitch no matter how you look at it, I've gotten volcanos like this before too, it's annoying when you embark on one because you want surface lava and then it all just drains into the magma sea before you even get there  >:(

Of course it's a glitch, but at least it isn't crippling to otherwise nice sites, like the magma mountains.  Plus, I can see this working really well, especially since it looks like the caverns are very close to the magma sea, so I may just build my fortress in-between and around them.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:53:35 am »

The lack of mud on reclaim is another bug, not a peculiarity of your particular site.

With one cavern, do you get all the possible creatures?
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:23:05 pm »

Toss a caged cat down the pit, brave explorer ho!
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."
-- "Jim Jones", Traditional

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 07:44:41 pm »

Toss a caged cat down the pit, brave explorer ho!

I don't have any cats, thankfully.  Besides, I've already lost two dwarves to the magma sea in suspended trade depot building accidents, so I assume I can't explore any more without digging.  There isn't an cotton candy from what I can see, so I'll need to go digging around to find some anyway.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 08:20:19 pm »

I think you can actually find bugged volcanoes on the embark maps.

I've noticed if you check a volcano site on the midrange map, but a volcano doesn't show up on the embark square anywhere, you can do some guesswork using the elevation and cliff maps and put the square over it.

Those always seem to be bugged.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 08:23:57 pm »

I think you can actually find bugged volcanoes on the embark maps.

I've noticed if you check a volcano site on the midrange map, but a volcano doesn't show up on the embark square anywhere, you can do some guesswork using the elevation and cliff maps and put the square over it.

Those always seem to be bugged.

This volcano was on the embark map, but that's an interesting find.  I genned this world with lots of volcanoes (I was hoping for a good volcano somewhere besides the glacier with no aquifer, but couldn't find it), and quite a few embark maps didn't show the volcano when it said it was there on the midrange map.  Once I'm done with this fort I'll go take a look around and see if you are right.