Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma forge available but no magma.  (Read 744 times)

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma forge available but no magma.
« on: December 14, 2010, 09:35:38 pm »

I started a new fortress and when I was going to start building workshops and furnaces I noticed that the magma forge/kiln/etc. were available. I understand they only appear in your menu when there's lava/magma available, but there's nothing, not even warm stone.

Why would that happen?

On a side note a tower cap was growing in a recently dug out room in which I was going to place a stockpile, after placing the stockpile the tree sapling disappeared, no other sapling has appeared since.

And since we're at it a slightly off topic question. If I place a bunch floor bars together (in a rectangle for example), do I have to create a lever/plate for each?

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma forge available but no magma.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:43:25 pm »

As far as I know, the magma-based workshops are always available. They're just not really worth building unless you actually have some access to magma. And without being too cryptic or hopefully ruining anything: there's magma on every embark location, if you look in the right places. It's just that there's occasionally magma elsewhere as well (volcanoes, magma pipes).

I have seen this as well. I thought they were only supposed to grow after the first cavern breech, but I think I had seen them without a breech once before.

You can link multiple items to a single lever/pressure plate.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:46:49 pm by sdrawkcabcM tsirU »

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:48:21 pm »

I had started other fortresses before and magma workshops weren't available from the beggining, I guess I doesn't matter anyway. I was just wondering if it indicated that there was magma nearby.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:07:59 am »

Actually, you may be unable to build magma buildings before discovering magma, I have experienced it, but I am not entirely sure about the conditions.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:46:23 am »

Did you happen to get some 'cave-in' spam when you initally embarked?  It is possible that a cave-in revealed the magma to the engine, but the area is still hidden.

The magma workshops most definitely do not show until you have magma revealed, that is certain.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:47:59 am by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 03:57:03 pm »

I know, that's why I found it weird. I received no notice of a cave-in or anything similar.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 06:21:45 am »

On a side note a tower cap was growing in a recently dug out room in which I was going to place a stockpile, after placing the stockpile the tree sapling disappeared, no other sapling has appeared since.
Stockpiles stop plants growing on that space.  I think if you remove the stockpile the plant will still be there, I can't remember if traffic over the stockpile can kill the hidden plant.

Pathologik

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? BECAUSE YES, THAT'S WHY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:53:21 am »

Stockpiles stop plants growing on that space.  I think if you remove the stockpile the plant will still be there, I can't remember if traffic over the stockpile can kill the hidden plant.
I believe that traffic can (and most probably will) kill saplings, hidden or no.