Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with Military.  (Read 1007 times)

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with Military.
« on: December 14, 2010, 06:54:57 pm »

I'm trying to get used to this new military.

So far, not much luck.

I set up some dwarves and tell them to be active/training, but their status stays at "cannot follow orders"

Why are they doing this? what am i missing?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Military.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 07:03:11 pm »

Maybe there's not enough members in the squad to fulfill the standard training schedule of 10 soldiers minimum. Go to the schedule page and (e)dit the order for the current month to allow less soldiers (say something like 3 soldiers min if you have drafted 5). Then copy that order over to the other months and maybe clear some months if you want them to have some free time / time for civilian jobs.
Also make sure you have made a barracks from an armor stand or bed and set the squad in question to using it for training by selecting the squad while (q)ing over the room and pressing (t).
Before i forget if you set the minimum close to the squad size you might also get the situation where there's not enough dwarfs to train because some are busy with their civilian jobs. Disable their civilian jobs if that's the problem. I'm pretty sure it's the first thing i wrote tho  ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:07:05 pm by shlorf »

Dumatoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 07:16:09 pm »

Ah perfect thanks!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 04:54:33 am »

I was quite certain that if you leave it at "10 minimum" they just all go to work on it despite not having 10 squad members.

The defining a barracks for them thing should be what "fixed" the issue for him.

-

Now I should mention that there are a lot of ways you can slow up the already not-fast skill gain from training. If you actually tell a 10 dwarf squad to train they are unlikely to become any good for quite awhile. When a dwarf learns something they will often do a demonstration to teach it to the other dwarves but they will wait for everyone to actually show up, even if they are eating or whatnot. Add on that demonstrations do not give a particularly large amount of experience when the teacher is in the first couple of levels and you might be so unlucky as to have almost all dabbling skills on your recruits for entire years in the game.

Instead make squads of 3 with training orders set to 2 minimum. They spend a good split of time between actual sparring and demonstrations like this and you won't have them waiting on the slowest guy that could get anything from some demonstration nearly so much.

Moreover though, when you do actually have a squad of master-to-legendary fighters you should split them up and place them in charge of their own squads. They will actually teach their subordinates quickly once they are good.
*skill gains seem to go mainly fighter tailed by their equipped weapon, followed by shields. Don't worry too much about armor and dodge- fighter actually has a big role in if they get hit or not so they can level those skills in live combat or very long term training.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:34:48 am »

This seems a pretty neat idea. But I was wondering is there any better way to see if a soldier is already in a squad? My next fort I'm putting everyone in the military for at least basic combat training and for armour off duty, but so far keep on selecting the wrong dwarf dropping them out of their previous squad.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 07:56:35 am »

when you scroll through the list of candidates for a squad position itll show any relevant skills the guy has.  relevant being compared against the squad's current uniform.  beside their skills and name it'll also state their current squad if they are already assigned
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.