Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Magma Trap Innovation  (Read 2016 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Trap Innovation
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 03:39:53 am »

It is rather tasteful isn't it. I realy like how he used the natural landscape and turned it into a weapon of mass slaughter and death and fire.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 05:18:55 am »

It isn't that pumps pressurize the magma- the individual units still won't dive down through a body of magma and then pop up at the other end of U bends and that. The thing is just that pumps look for the closest open space on the same level or below and instantly move whatever they are pumping to that space. Subtle difference from pressure.

The "doesn't magma not pressurize?" sort of thinking makes a trap where magma comes up out of the floor that much dwarfier.

-

My favorite magma trap is a lot like that wall-of-lasers that you see in so many movies where people are breaking into some high tech facility. You have a nice clean tunnel for invaders to walk through with a single row gap in the floor that has steel bars or such to let them walk past. Above this there's a ledge that goes back a few tiles before narrowing to a 1 wide tunnel ending at the back of a pump. When the pump sends red stuff out it spreads out and all of a sudden what looked like safe open space to walk through has suddenly burned a hole through the entity trying to walk through it- or really just covered them in good ole planet-blood for a hasty temperature related death.

The one pump for five or seven tiles width seems to have coverage that won't let anything through unscathed but if you really wanted to you could trap an invasion between two of these and just watch as they sacrifice themselves in whichever direction.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 07:00:24 am »

Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 07:11:09 am »

I had in an older version a magma bomb setup in the main corridoor.

Corridoor was 5 wide. Above it was the launch setup, with iron hatches. Above that, was the magma reservoir with another set of iron hatches.

The corridoor was like this

Hatches were setup like this:

=========================
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
++C++C++C++C++C++C++C++C++
++C++C++C++C++C++C++C++C++
=========================

When lever was pulled, the 7 layers of magma landed on the tile, and spread around. Lower hatches could be closed, and storage reloaded from the magma chamber above. Or both hatches could be left open to flood the entire hallway with magma (I had bauxite floodgates at both ends as a safety feature).
On the outerend of this was a endless chasm with a rectractable bridge.I also had pressurized water directed to this corridoor. I could fill the corridoor at the pace of 15 tiles per cycle., and use the water to push all those wortless leather, silk and cloth stuff into the chasm.

The original idea was that there would be 14 layers of magma for each 15 tile set, proving a nice coverage. And since it is only 1 layer, it would evaporate fast.
However, experience proved that even at 1 layer the magma evaporated too slowly, So I needed two additional exits. But it was a good experience.

I was toying with idea of making a magma mist generator to burn people coming in, but haven't gotten around to that yet.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 07:45:54 pm »

I used 384 pumps, 4 on each of 94 levels, and 4000+ power to make a volcano in the middle of the map erupt. The map floods in no time at all.
Results:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A detailed explanation of it's workings.
A map from which the above image was created.

:o I.... Want... So.... BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD
What do you think? Yes? No?

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 09:16:49 pm »

I know it isn't very impressive compared to some of the others here, but the next megaproject that I have blueprinted (for after I finish walling the entire map into a labrynth to get into my fort) is a giant dwarf face. One game tile is one pixel in the statue image, and the image appears on all four sides of the tower/statue thing. It will shoot magma from the mouth and then cry water from the eyes to obsidianify any enemies who can path through the maze to my fort's main gate. Yeah, did I mention that this will sit in the main courtyard? cuz it will.

sadly I can only figure out how to make it shoot magma from one of the four mouths, so that is going to be the one that faces the maze. Same with the eyes and the "tears". I think I could do it from all the mouths if I did more than one tile per pixel, but I am starting small for now.

basic floorplan

= == walls of whatever colour makes it fit with the "face" outside for looking good in visualizers.
+ == floors
X == floodgate
. == channel
%% == pump
/ == stairs for interior construction (that way, don't get deaths from scaffolding incidents)
m == magma
w == water

========
=+++++/=
=+===++=
=.%%w=+=
=+====+=
=.%%m=+=
=+====+=
=======

8x8 square stacked 11 things tall with the magma stopping at z lvl 5 for the mouth, water stopping at z lvl 8 for the eyes. 9-11 are cosmetic.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 11:39:06 pm »

It isn't that pumps pressurize the magma- the individual units still won't dive down through a body of magma and then pop up at the other end of U bends and that. The thing is just that pumps look for the closest open space on the same level or below and instantly move whatever they are pumping to that space. Subtle difference from pressure.

This post describes best exactly how pressure works.
The important thing to know is that pressure is not something a liquid 'has', but something a liquid 'does' - it is not a property, but a procedure.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 12:30:12 pm »

Quote from: Firnagzen
How about the Magma Moses? Not mine, but awesome.

Awesome, is.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 01:20:02 pm »

I feel inspired me to make up another thing...
Code: [Select]
╔═══╦o#o
║#%%╬#╔╣
╠═══╝#╠╩════╗
║#####║#####║
║#╔═══╣#o═╗#║
║#║###║###║#║
║#║#o#╚═╗#║#║
║#║#║###║#║#║
║#║#╚═╗#o#║#║
║#║###║###║#║
║#╚═o#╠═══╝#║
║#####║#####║
╚════╦╣#╔═══╣
     ╠╝#╬%%#║
     o#o╩═══╝
based, sort of, on traditional labyrinth design, below this is a chamber filled with 7/7 magma that is floored with a bridge that retracts and drops it into a lower chamber that is kept drained.  everything is constructed of magma safe materials, of course.

When an invader enters the labyrinth, the pumps are both turned on and magma rushes from the front and back of the path, racing to the center.  Because of the way pressurization from pumps works, only a little magma will leak out through the diagonals, and it will be collected through the floor grates just like the magma that runs through the labyrinth so that pathing can resume as soon as the trap resets.

The pattern can be expanded pretty easily by adding more loops to both sides, and something elaborate using water for another "color" and ramps for crossings could build a pretty elaborate celtic knot design.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 01:52:09 pm »

When an invader enters the labyrinth, the pumps are both turned on and magma rushes from the front and back of the path, racing to the center.  Because of the way pressurization from pumps works, only a little magma will leak out through the diagonals, and it will be collected through the floor grates just like the magma that runs through the labyrinth so that pathing can resume as soon as the trap resets.

Nice! But to eliminate the leaks altogether, simply get the path to rise at both ends, say with a ramp. Sometimes I make bumps in pathways to prevent extensive flooding in sensitive areas, with magma it's more than adequate.

I think you're onto something here.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 05:25:03 pm »

I thought about that, but the problem with ramps is that they will get 1/7 magma on them and it won't drain away.  What I have in mind (but didn't take the time to illustrate) is for the corridor leading to and from the labyrinth  to have grates with a drop under them so that the magma that leaks falls into a collection chamber and be pumped up to the reservoirs for the labyrinth filling pumps or used to maintain the 7/7 in the lower chamber, since that will also leak out through the diagonal that will be below the entrance and exit.

Perhaps I can use an up/down stair with no up stair below it to allow the magma to drain out the bottom without allowing anything to path down there; it's not like I need to maintain a path for wagons...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!
Pages: 1 [2]