Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giraffe People liason and bleeding dwarves  (Read 725 times)

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giraffe People liason and bleeding dwarves
« on: December 14, 2010, 04:49:10 pm »

I have a nasty problem. My fortress is covered in blood all over, on all levels. It comes from a number of dwarves and animals. The incident coincides with a visit from a liason from Giraffe People. No, I'm not joking. He is emanating something called "giraffe monster boiling extract". It doesn't seem to be hostile and it seems to be conducting a meeting with my Baron for some time now. It is not wounded and health screen reports no wounds or diagnose requests from any of my dwarves or animals. Any ideas why there is blood all over my fortress?

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giraffe People liason and bleeding dwarves
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:56:25 pm »

...Those humans are devious.  See, Humans in DF have the tendency to believe massive humanoid monsters that claim to be gods.  They then make them civ leaders, who are chosen as diplomats for your fortress.  Basically, you have a benign forgotten beast gassing all your dwarves and causing death via forgotten beast poison.  As for the blood, either your dwarves are haemorrhaging from the poison, or they're just tracking it everywhere.  Good luck!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:57:46 pm »

The Giraffe Monster is the liaison from one of the nearby civilizations.  In the current version, Forgotten Beasts can escape from the underworld and become members of normal aboveground civilizations, and then can come visit you when it's time for trade negotiations.  It used to be that when they did, they'd systematically destroy every building and piece of furniture in your fortress.  Toady fixed that, but he didn't do anything about those occasional forgotten beasts that constantly spew out deadly dust.  Like the one you have.  It's constantly spraying poison dust everywhere it goes, which is probably what's causing everyone to start bleeding.  I recommend flooding your entire fortress with magma to eliminate the liaison, dust, and injured dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:12:05 pm »

It's not a liaison, since humans don't send liaisons - it's a diplomat. Also, it's not a forgotten beast - it's a demon that escaped from Hell.

Also, since Toady hasn't yet fixed the "new liaison every year" bug, all you have to do is allow the meetings to take place (or kill the dwarf conducting the meeting, causing "Diplomacy Stymied - A diplomat has left unhappy") and let it leave - next year, you'll get an ordinary human diplomat instead.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:00:06 am »

trap him and the noble in a room and board it up

of course magma works better

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:22:58 am »

issue a kill order on it, then send your dwarves to the mist generator/waterfall.  Then enjoy your war with the humans in the midst of epidemic.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

madmaxxam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:02:14 am »

Also, since Toady hasn't yet fixed the "new liaison every year" bug, all you have to do is allow the meetings to take place (or kill the dwarf conducting the meeting, causing "Diplomacy Stymied - A diplomat has left unhappy") and let it leave - next year, you'll get an ordinary human diplomat instead.

In my experience you don't even need to kill the dwarf conducting the meeting, you can just replace him as whatever noble he is, and the diplomat will leave, and you can then switch back to the same dwarf if you so desire.

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 05:25:11 pm »

Turns out he only wanted to meet with my baron and tell him that we dwarves got ourselves a nice place. Sounded like a threat to me :)

The problem was that my baron was assigned to a squad so he tried to conduct a meeting in the barracks all the time, which prevented the conversation for taking place. Once I took him off the squad they both went to the baron's throne room and finished the conversation in a couple of minutes.

The strangest thing is that all my dwarves are leaving their blood behind be no one shows any injuries on the health screen.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 05:30:42 pm »

The strangest thing is that all my dwarves are leaving their blood behind be no one shows any injuries on the health screen.

They're probably coughing up blood (or vomiting blood) - for whatever reason, those symptoms never show up in the Health screen.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.