Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts flying up my well and garbage chute!  (Read 3024 times)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beasts flying up my well and garbage chute!
« on: December 14, 2010, 04:33:42 pm »

In my current fortress I hit the first cavern layer pretty early and it was filled with water so I just dug a well straight down into it.  I also dug a "garbage chute" and set it so my dwarves toss anything designated for dumping down the hole into the cavern lake.

This worked great for a while, but now various Forgotten Beasts have started flying up the chutes and wreaking havoc inside my fortress.

So a couple questions...

1. Is there any way to protect a well to bring FBs from flying up and through it?  Will the bucket for a well go through a grate?  I'm guessing not, and even if it would the FBs would just building-destroy the grate, right? 

2. I don't have much hope for my "garbage chute", but any ideas on how to protect it?  Yeah, I could just forgo the "realism" of throwing my trash down the hole and just make a "quantum garbage dump" on a single tile... but I kinda think that's cheating so I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance for any tips/ideas/advice!

--nomad_delta

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts flying up my well and garbage chute!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:38:32 pm »

i dont have an answer to your chute problem but...why not atom smash all your junk?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 04:40:58 pm »

Water can flow through fortifications.

#Fort.
~Water

###
#~#
###

Sorted. :P Though you will need to drain the area around. And if the water's more than a tile deep, problems.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:41:37 pm »

Yeah, I could just forgo the "realism" of throwing my trash down the hole and just make a "quantum garbage dump" on a single tile... but I kinda think that's cheating so I'd rather not.

Hate to break it to ya, but your current 'realistic' dump is just a quantum stockpile at the bottom of a hole, all that stuff you toss down there is going to be sitting on the same tile.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 04:57:48 pm »

Water can flow through fortifications.

#Fort.
~Water

###
#~#
###

Sorted. :P Though you will need to drain the area around. And if the water's more than a tile deep, problems.

those r still breakable by building destroyers though :S
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 04:59:47 pm »

Fortifications, like all constructions, can't be broken by building-destroyers.  They aren't guaranteed safe, however, since swimming creatures can pass through submerged fortifications.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 05:04:20 pm »

I had this problem once, a forgotten beast some how made it through a wall in, through the magma lake, into the fortress, it then died from one punch from some random dwarf civi who spent a while in the hospital

long story short, put your garbage shoots over magma lakes
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:18:39 pm »

Fluids will push things through grates and fortifications. Things that wouldn't normally be able to get through.

I would suggest using a combination of pumps and fort.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:04:00 pm »

Fortifications, like all constructions, can't be broken by building-destroyers.  They aren't guaranteed safe, however, since swimming creatures can pass through submerged fortifications.

What about grates on the other side from a fortification? only thing that can get through would be an aquatic building destroyer right?
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:16:42 pm »

Wall grates are the same as fortifications, in that swimming creatures can pass through them while submerged.  Maybe something involving fortifications, then an upward tunnel with a floor grate, but you'd need water pressure to force the water up it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 06:17:38 pm »

Floor grates seem to (sometimes at least) be safe. I had a "washing station" on the surface of a cavern lake - all walled in, but grates for floors. The FB swam right underneath, scared a bunch of dwarves, but couldn't path to them. It is my understanding that floor built things cannot be destroyed from below (except possibly when on top of stairs?)

Wall grates are screwed, though.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:46:48 pm »

Wall grates are the same as fortifications, in that swimming creatures can pass through them while submerged.

When I tested this in 40d, this was not the case - the only way I could end up inside a submerged grate was by jumping onto it from above, while submerged fortifications offered no hindrance whatsoever.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 10:58:11 pm »

Can  locked/lever controlled hatches be destroyed if on top of a stairwell? O.o
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Tessien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 03:51:20 am »

I tried to build a dwarven swimming pool, using high water pressure, I've seen 5 dwarves get pushed through a forification, grate, fortification sandwich. So grates are definitely not safe.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 10:19:02 am »

Fluids will push things through grates and fortifications. Things that wouldn't normally be able to get through.

I would suggest using a combination of pumps and fort.

this would mean in standing 7/7 water nothing should be able to get through a fortification (aside from a creature made of gas).

I think dwarves can lower buckets through floor grates, but I'm not sure.  As for your garbage chute, dig down right before the cavern opens up, and put a hatch on it, and link it to a lever.  a FB shouldn't be able to destroy it from below, and your garbage will collect on top of it.  Two pulls of the lever and your garbage is dumped and the lid is closed again.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: [1] 2