Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Hydra Dragon Titan Overlord has come, beware of his..CAGETRAP!!! nevermind..  (Read 2543 times)

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I just accidentally ordered my Bronze Colossus to be pitted and it escaped. He's currently finishing off my fortress. Some of the goblins too also escaped, but were retrapped.

Did you try to pit more than one creature at a time? Did more than one dorf drag a creature at the same time?

The only time a creature got loose when being pitted was when I tried to pit a mountain goat and two goblin thieves at the same time.
Three idlers went there, and, I don't know exactly what was the trigger, but after the first one let go of his creature, every other dorf canceled the dragging job: interrupted by everything, and then the three of them got loose, tried to escape from the main entrance and got torn to shreds by weapon traps...

Also, the zombie mountain goat went inside the fortress and died, and stayed dead there long enough to produce a crapload of miasma, so now everyone is unhappy...

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The main problem is that other dwarves will be frightened by the creature even if the dwarf pitting it has things well under control. When those other dwarves get frightened, the creature in question apparently realizes that it's out of its cage and the only thing stopping it from mauling everything within arm's length is that idiot dragging it around. The best case scenario there is that the dwarf hauling your precious pet winds up beating it to death.

The other common problem is that one of your dogs/jaguars/war giant cave spider decides to maul whatever it is and that usually results in the dwarf cancelling their Pit Animal job.

The best thing to do is to construct the cage right next to the pit and have your animal stockpile connected to the pit by a passage that your other dwarves never need to use otherwise as well. The latter is insurance in case you wind up with a lot of similar creatures in similar cages. You don't want to be hauling that skelk from halfway across the fortress when you meant to pit the one whose cage is right next to the pit.

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I thought I had set up those precautions, my cages were all around the pit. Except the colossus which was the centre piece of my dinning hall. He has wiped out my fortress (well took it down to 5 unconcious men) but hasn't been able to finish them off as wielding a x(goat leather cap)x that has 76notable kills and 1 dog kill. After whaling on them for about half a year some goblins came and killed 3, seeing as the last 2 didn't seem to want starve/dehydrate I abandoned.

I think I might just go to the method of kill everything instead of using cage traps.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last time I cage trapped a giant, I built the cage into a niche outside my dinging room and walled it up. It gives me perverse glee to think about my dwarves lovingly patting the wall where that terror is buried, knowing that even if it could escape its cage, no one could ever find its resting place to free it.

Buried. Alive. Forever.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My system is pretty simple three-z level pit, line the walls with as many full cages as you want wired to a lever outside.  Put a staircase right in the middle and a draw bridge to it--make sure the draw bridge has a few cage traps between itself and the fortress--this is to recapture your new pet. 
A: Wire cages to lever (assuming one cage contains a hydra, collosus)
B.  Remove clothing, weapons etc from goblins (trolls keep stuff) [this is up to you, but I hate losing a giant to a goblin thief with a sharp knife]
C. Lift drawbridge--now the only entrance to the pit is a staircase connected to mid-air, no jumping, no breaking, no problem.
D. Enjoy goblins fighting Giant (or in absence of giant, leave your militia at the bottom of the pit, and lift the drawbridge leaving them inside)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last time I cage trapped a giant, I built the cage into a niche outside my dinging room and walled it up.

For the love of God, Montressor Urist!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile

GOBLIN DISPOSAL PIT!!!
GOBLIN DISPOSAL PIT!!!
GOBLIN DISPOSAL PIT!!!
GOBLIN DISPOSAL PIT!!!
GOBLIN DISPOSAL PIT!!!
GOBLIN DISPOSAL PIT!!!
GOBLIN DISPOSAL PIT!!!
GOBLIN DISPOSAL PIT!!!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last time I cage trapped a giant, I built the cage into a niche outside my dinging room and walled it up.

For the love of God, Montressor Urist!
++rep
Pages: 1 [2]