Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Hydra Dragon Titan Overlord has come, beware of his..CAGETRAP!!! nevermind..  (Read 2548 times)

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I cagetrapped this Huge Hydra. Can it be hauled to a pit and dropped there like goblins and puppies?

For a better explanation: Whenever goblin thieves, or ambushers get stuck on cage traps, my dorfs go to the trap in question, haul the cage with the creature in it and place it on a animal stockpile. Then, in a pre-defined Pit, I set the creature from the stockpile to be "Pitted", so the dorfs go to the stockpile, and drag the creature to the Pit.
This works most of the time, and only once some creatures escaped while beeing dragged, but I never dragged such a dangerous creature before. Will it be dragged as easily as puppies and kittens?

If so, what would you suggest me doing with it? Placing it on the Spike Trap Pit for it to be killed while my dorfs party on pressure plates or create something like a Pit of 100 Trials, and leave it there against hordes of (also pitted against their will) goblins and zombies?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

create something like a Pit of 100 Trials, and leave it there against hordes of (also pitted against their will) goblins and zombies
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This works most of the time, and only once some creatures escaped while beeing dragged, but I never dragged such a dangerous creature before. Will it be dragged as easily as puppies and kittens?
Conventional wisdom for stuff like trolls and goblin thieves was to have some insurance around even if you pit them with the cage directly next to the pit. With a hydra uh... best to rely on a couple mechanisms and a lever to open its cage. What to do with it is up to you, Pit of Trials or Goblin Disposal Lair sound good.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Conventional wisdom for stuff like trolls and goblin thieves was to have some insurance around even if you pit them with the cage directly next to the pit. With a hydra uh... best to rely on a couple mechanisms and a lever to open its cage. What to do with it is up to you, Pit of Trials or Goblin Disposal Lair sound good.

So, when my dorfs are dragging a creature around there is a % that he will be unable to hold the creature for no reason at all or all the problems that can affect the chance of dragging only external (ie: a dorf with no creatures around would be able to drag a titan made of magma up 160 Z levels and dump him in the river)?

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:40:58 pm by Bronimin »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've pitted a hydra before. They can do it, but they move the cage slowly, because it weighs so much. Make sure there are no doors at the bottom of the pit, because it can break them down.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile

Use it to weed out the weaklings from your arena stocks.
You do have an arena, don't you?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, when my dorfs are dragging a creature around there is a % that he will be unable to hold the creature for no reason at all or all the problems that can affect the chance of dragging only external (ie: a dorf with no creatures around would be able to drag a titan made of magma up 160 Z levels and dump him in the river)?
I think it's that big, belligerant creatures have a chance of breaking grip while being tossed over. Small animals will never be able to break grip, but if it's bigger than the dwarf?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the trigger of breaking the grip will be at the moment of the tossing, not during the carrying?

I'm almost sure they sucesfuly carried Horses and (untamed) Zombie Mountain Goats.
By common sense, Zombie Mountain Goats should be as hostile as they it gets and also, a lot bigger than a dwarf.

But nevermind, I shall build a forest of cage traps along the path of UristMcTitanCarrier...

Also, not directly related to the original post, a Forgotten Beast has spawned in the caves of my fort. The problem is, there is no connection between my fort and the caves, for I have never dug the walls of the caverns, so, this FB cannot enter my fort and started roaming about the cave walls and attracted the attention of 3 ant men.

"This would show me the real strenght of these Ant Men, are they though or will the FB torn them to shreds?"

The ant men raped the hell out of the FB, and escaped totally unscathed. Ok, I give the FB the award of most resistent fighter ever, as the fight took some months. I don't know if the FB (I think it was some bird) was made of cotton-candy or something, but it did no damage AT ALL to the Ant Men, nor any syndrome effects.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 01:30:44 pm by nickdx »

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He also releases it if he gets hungry, or thirsty, or there is a new shiny weapons waiting somewhere...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

In 40d, that was a major issue. In 31.xx, I'm fairly certain they'll actually pit the animal before going off to eat/drink/sleep/party.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In 31.16 I had some rhesus macaqu, foxes, and groundhogs in animal stockpile. I ordered the to be caged to free up some cages. They were breaking free almoust immediatly after being dragged from animal stockpile.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think it would be best to put a small custom animal stockpile next to pit or cage.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well I just accidentally ordered my Bronze Colossus to be pitted and it escaped. He's currently finishing off my fortress. Some of the goblins too also escaped, but were retrapped.

As to the antmen killing the FB? Well I've had 3 FBs die in the fort without me even seeing them the cavern folk finish them off. Pleased too some nasty posion blood ones there.

Jessoftherocks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grounds all green and mushy, in dungeons o Despair
    • View Profile

What I've done in the past is construct the cage hes in right next to your Pit/Pond, make sure theres some security measures in place like maybe a hallway leading to the Pit/Pond and lock the dwarf that constructs the cage with the hydra in  the same area, when hes done constructing have him Pit the beast, having the cage one square away might help since he's only one tile away, but this doesnt neccesarily mean he won't notice the giant heads and claws and freakin hydra before he pits it, thats why i say but some security measures in place just in case things go array.
You obviously found a new species of smart kobold.
Way to go, you killed the only smart kobold's to have existed.
See? Not everyone avoids you!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I use a combination of levered cages and bridges to manage goblins (since hydras are door destroyers, only bridges would work in this case):

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
mechanized cage(door1)retractable bridge(doo2)the fortress
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
W=wall

open the cage with a trigger. when the creature is on the bridge lock doors 1 and 2. Now it's ready to be dropped to whichever doom you have placed under the bridge.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: [1] 2