Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Most deadly weapon?  (Read 7725 times)

Lenin_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most deadly weapon?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 05:57:59 pm »

lol gravedigging.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 08:43:07 pm »

AK's. They usually blow people in half, while M16's usually just explode heads or sever limbs.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 12:54:38 pm »

The M16 uses the 5.56mm round, which is a 'tumbler'. It 'tumbles' on contact with tissue and produces massive injuries. The 7.62 which the AK-47 uses has a much higher velocity and is designed to penetrate rather the yaw in tissue. The M16 has higher muzzle velocity and kinetic impact then the M4, which has a shorter barrel, so it does much more damage. You'd be much worse off if hit by a 7.62 in urban combat then a 5.56, if you were wearing military-grade body armor, however.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »

In LCS, the AK47 and M16 are identical with the exception of disguise checks.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 03:37:04 pm »

Since 4.02 alpha I have never had a sword cut of a limb and assault rifles have only destroyed heads, the easiest body part to be removed. The best possible liberals (20 everything except wisdom) are never able to kill someone with just one hit with a sword.

*THIS*

I'm playing the current version, and BOY have swords been beat with the nerf stick. Swords have always been my favourite, but in this current version, I think I might have to stick to assault rifles. Sigh.

Sundial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 10:52:29 pm »

Since 4.02 alpha I have never had a sword cut of a limb and assault rifles have only destroyed heads, the easiest body part to be removed. The best possible liberals (20 everything except wisdom) are never able to kill someone with just one hit with a sword.

*THIS*

I'm playing the current version, and BOY have swords been beat with the nerf stick. Swords have always been my favourite, but in this current version, I think I might have to stick to assault rifles. Sigh.

Swords are indeed quite weak, but the low incidence of severing limbs mostly doesn't matter, barring unlikely cases like chopping off both arms without reducing the victim's health below 20. There's hardly any effective difference between a guy who just lost an arm and a guy who just took a bunch of damage to his arm.

Before you give all your guys rifles, try picking swordfights with CCS "Hardened Veterans." It will be a fun/godawful experience.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 06:49:33 pm »

Heh. CCS Veterans? In this version? Not likely. A few versions back, I could kill a CCS veteran with swordwielders, albeit they had a harder time getting through that armor compared to chopping up swat teams and the army. In THIS version, they can barely cut through Army Armor...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 07:15:22 pm »

Wasn't originally the point of melee weapons over guns that they were HORRIBLE for beginners but actually started to pull ahead near elite and managed to be better then guns at Super Elite levels making them a long term investment?

I wonder why change that formula.

Sundial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 09:56:59 pm »

Swords were probably put in the game primarily because the option of using them sounded interesting, not because of their practical differences from other weapons. There are large numbers of weapons in the game that don't have any practical use, but were added for variety.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 10:16:29 pm »

I think swords should start out terrible, but gradually become as strong as an AK with top skill.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 05:50:26 am »

I think swords should start out terrible, but gradually become as strong as an AK with top skill.

They do more damage at the top, but because they have a tendency to now (or so I hear) chop of limbs instead of doing max damage to an opponent they have become less useful. (which to admit is technically true... Melee weapons are very vicious.)

Or in otherwords the sword users are stupid.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 10:28:04 am »

Clubs are where its at, yo.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 10:28:00 am »

Clubs are where its at, yo.

Club party of bouncers hitting the town?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 10:29:51 am »

I don't think I intentionally nerfed swords at any point, it was probably a side effect of... something. However, it is true that the purpose of swords in the game is to be interesting, rather than specifically to fill a tactical role.

The ability to sever limbs is an advantage in how fast you can take down the enemy; you can't deal lethal damage when hitting an arm or leg regardless of whether you sever it or not, so removing them makes it more likely you'll head the head or torso next time, and those have no damage cap.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 01:15:07 pm »

I think that swords are the only way to kill tanks now, so theres that to consider
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.
Pages: 1 [2] 3