Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [New Player] Farming Issues..  (Read 2179 times)

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [New Player] Farming Issues..
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 05:32:50 am »

. This would only let one dwarf bucket at a time but I guess you could construct some up/down stairs next to it and place pond zones at each level to make it reasonable to muddy larger plots like this.

Actually, you can trick it into having more Dorfs water the same spot by having four 2x1 pit zones (one coming from each cardinal direction) overlaping at the same point, the channeled area. This way you can have four Dorfs filling the same square. I don't know if you can increase it to eight by then adding four more 2x2 zones originating in the corners and overlapping the other zones as well. Worth a try, I suppose.

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 06:42:06 am »

You can just place multiple 1x1 zones over the hole and designate as a pond to fill. When using this method instead of flooding I set 6 or 8 zones up over the hole. Seems to work just fine, so long as I have enough buckets.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 09:31:58 am »

Quick (and infinite) irrigation from a brook or river is one reason I prefer to embark with one. Dig a channel leading down to the level you wish to irrigate, like this:

Code: [Select]
=====
~~+X+
=====
Where X is a lever linked floodgate, and + are fortifications. Open, flood, close, wall up (walls or fortifications, as desired), remove lever if desired. Quick, semi-automatic, supports re-irrigation if it ever becomes required to do so, and secure from even building destroyers once walled up.

There's one risk - due to a bug, enemies can sometimes be pushed through the fortifications and end up under the floodgate. Make sure that the floodgate is down when not in use, and you will never see this problem. Build the lever into a small (1x1) chamber nearby, and wall it up once you're done using it to prevent 'accidental' use or gremlins/dwarves from getting to it without your express consent.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 03:48:01 pm »

you have to cut out a level above or else the water wont create mud - just be wet. it has to fall (for some reason.) same for ponds, i believe.

I've messed around with dfliquids and that isn't quite the case. It's not that it has to fall but the water has to flow over a space to create mud. If you dig out a 10x10 square and use dfliquids to insert a 10x10 square of water, it doesn't flow at all so no mud is created. However, if you but a 5x5 square of water in the middle and let it flow, every square the water flows to will be muddied but not the original 5x5 square unless you spawn more water after it all drys (or you remove it with dfliquid) and let it flow into that 5x5 square.
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 04:47:44 pm »

you have to cut out a level above or else the water wont create mud - just be wet. it has to fall (for some reason.) same for ponds, i believe.

I've messed around with dfliquids and that isn't quite the case. It's not that it has to fall but the water has to flow over a space to create mud. If you dig out a 10x10 square and use dfliquids to insert a 10x10 square of water, it doesn't flow at all so no mud is created. However, if you but a 5x5 square of water in the middle and let it flow, every square the water flows to will be muddied but not the original 5x5 square unless you spawn more water after it all drys (or you remove it with dfliquid) and let it flow into that 5x5 square.

....ooooOOOOHHHHHHhhhh..... that makes so much more sense.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 04:50:27 pm »

You could easily get 8 semi-overlapping zones if you used 2x3s. Larger than that and you can start mixing squares and rectangles while they still had unique bits hanging out from each other. I see no reason to think the game would limit the bucket brigade to 4 or really any number when overlapping works in the first place.

-

A lot of long time players avoid rivers in attempts to maximize fps. These days anyone that wants infinite water gets creative with aquifers.

-

DF puts mud on a tile when water enters that tile. Hacking water onto the tile doesn't let the game realize that water entered that tile. Temp changes from magma would seem to operate similarly, if not with even more room to break the system.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]