Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you play with?

ASCII
Graphic pack

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Graphics (or lack of) Poll  (Read 3309 times)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics (or lack of) Poll
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 07:05:08 am »

I use graphics most of the time.

I'm okay with ASCII when I'm too lazy to do anything besides extract DF.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 07:09:57 am »

Graphic pack all the way to me.
There's always something very rewarding when you start editing an existing tileset, then make your own pixel art on top of it and finally see your work appearing in the game engine.

Can't care a single second for ASCII anymore.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 08:07:26 am »

After a tough inner fight I choose ASCII. I credit it to my laziness and also many minor mods don't use graphics.

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 08:12:57 am »

ASCII but not the vanilla one. I use Kelora_16x16, almost identical to curses_16x16, but the lines are smoother and I prefer the smoothed walls.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 08:53:21 am »

When there wasn't any graphics for 31.18 (or 31.17 can't remember accurately) I've played in ASCII, I also resorted to it when I needed to increase FPS in one of succession forts. Though I'm still having troubles in distinguishing stray dogs and deer (or coffin and bed)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 09:15:23 am »

Though I'm still having troubles in distinguishing stray dogs and deer (or coffin and bed)

What, there's a difference?!?

ASCII all the way for me. I find graphic packs disturbingly hard to understand. It's like they try giving more meaning to things than the game permits. ... Am I making myself clear somehow?
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 09:17:38 am »

ASCII for me as well.  I grew up playing Rogue (the actual game, not a -like), so I long ago got used to reading the Matrix.  I wasn't even really put off when I was first exposed to DF.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 09:29:47 am »

Ascii all the way here. I'm so used to ascii graphic that the graphic packs confuse me.
*Hugs*

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 09:31:06 am »

Started with Graphics, later with Asci.
But prefer Graphics... A good graphic pack can make the game a whole lot more fun to play.
Also a larger group of people might be willing to try DF if it had better graphics.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 10:12:53 am »

Ascii all the way here. I'm so used to ascii graphic that the graphic packs confuse me.
This. Also, we're playing DF, so adapting to the ASCII is the easiest thing to learn...
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2010, 10:27:58 am »

When I started out, the non-square nature of the default ASCII in an inherently grid based game bugged the hell out of me, so I got a graphic pack, and now I just use them all the time.
Current Fort: NatureRags

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 12:52:30 pm »

Yeah I'm too used to games like Nethack (I almost got an acension, but then I tripped while weilding a cockatrice) to use anything besides ASCII.

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2010, 12:59:11 pm »

Graphics for me.  I seem to alternate between the mayday pack and the Phoebus tile-set.
Check out my Dwarf Fortress tutorial series on Youtube.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2010, 01:12:27 pm »

I used graphics but it always fucked up my savegames by changing raw files or whatever. So it is ASCII for now.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 01:18:45 pm »

I do like the overall look of some graphical sets, but they have a number of problems.  For one thing, I can't stand realistic renderings of one object used to represent something completely different, such as gems that look like webs or screw pumps that alternate between barrels and meals.  These flaws bother me far more than symbols which are merely suggestive.  Another thing, which will not be fixed by better graphics support, is the immediate recognizability of easily distinguishable symbols.  Realistic images will never stand out as well.

So, I'm using a symbolic set.  It's mostly "ASCII" (actually CP437), but I wanted better distinguishability of the important traits of minerals, so I'm using a custom set with my own symbols for stone variants and such.  I like the idea behind the symbolic minerals used by a lot of current sets - props to RantingRodent for popularizing that - but I don't like a lot of the actual symbols.  This way I can also make some other small character changes, as well as address the biggest problem I have with the default sets: too many stark symbols in glaring colors on a black background burns my eyes.  A 20% alpha background on most characters makes some things look a bit weird, but makes other things look better, and does wonders for overall eye strain.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5