Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can't get any leather  (Read 484 times)

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can't get any leather
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:00:38 am »

One of my dwarves went into a strange mood and claimed a workshop. Among other things, he needs some leather. I have none stored. I tried to slaughter a donkey but my Tanner refuses to do a tanning job. I tried the same with a cow but still nothing. There are some donkey and cow skins on my refuse pile but the tanning job is not appearing in the tannery. What am I doing wrong?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: can't get any leather
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:29:24 am »

Is your tanner busy? Try turning off all of his other labors. It's also possible he's doing a job which has no assigned labor, like collecting sand, sleeping, or eating. If he's collecting sand, suspend or cancel the "collect sand" jobs at your glass/magma furnaces.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 01:36:53 am »

Also, make sure the skin is near the tanner's shop.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 04:27:40 am »

also, having them indoors is a good idea, as dorfs happily ignore refuse outdoors unleess you go into the orders menu and tell them to gather it...
This is a blank sig.

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 05:04:51 am »

also, having them indoors is a good idea, as dorfs happily ignore refuse outdoors unleess you go into the orders menu and tell them to gather it...

True. I made a raw hide stockpile next to the tanner's and made an order to tan a hide. It all worked very slowly and a caravan arrived selling me a ton of leather. :)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:41:53 pm »

I always set the refuse to not accept skin when possible, not sure if i have done this since post 40d
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.