Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: a dwarf in a cage, and no one to free him  (Read 2324 times)

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
a dwarf in a cage, and no one to free him
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:44:01 am »

In my current fortress, craftcrazes, I got bored and decided to open up the HFS. I was at FPS 1(1) for a while so I just left DF there and ate dinner.More demons spawned than my dwarves were prepared to deal with, so they all died. Except one who somehow got caged.

Now, there is no one to free him and the bad demons can't get to him. A demon destroyed a drawbridge leading into the fortress. Will he starve/dehydrate to death? Or will I have to wait for migrants which will probably get slaughtered by the goblins outside?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: a dwarf in a cage, and no one to free him
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 12:47:57 am »

That is one incredibly (un)lucky dwarf. At least it's known how he got in. A demon knocked him unconscious on top of one of your cage traps; unconscious dwarves trigger traps.

Urist McWatchedAllHisFriendsDieBrutallyFromWithinTheCage will probably starve to death.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:48:14 am »

... well... I don't think it is likely any immigrant will be able to get to him before they're ripped to shreds by goblins, but you might get lucky?

From what I understand, dwarves in cages (such as prisons) must be feed and watered. So it stands to reason that yes, he will die of dehydration before anyone can get to him. Sorry.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 12:54:22 am »

... well... I don't think it is likely any immigrant will be able to get to him before they're ripped to shreds by goblins, but you might get lucky?

From what I understand, dwarves in cages (such as prisons) must be feed and watered. So it stands to reason that yes, he will die of dehydration before anyone can get to him. Sorry.

That's only for cages that have been built right? I'll wait and see. He's actually completely unharmed and does not display hungry or thirsty on the status screen. I don't care either way if he dies or lives since I'm getting bored of this fort. That's why I opened the HFS in the first place ;D
That is one incredibly (un)lucky dwarf. At least it's known how he got in. A demon knocked him unconscious on top of one of your cage traps; unconscious dwarves trigger traps.

Urist McWatchedAllHisFriendsDieBrutallyFromWithinTheCage will probably starve to death.

1 tile to the left and he would have landed on the weapon traps

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 11:11:26 am »

I lost someone who got caged and I didn't notice. So yes, they will eventually die whether or not the cage is built.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 11:33:57 am »

Yeah, some weirdo elves brought some sentient beings in cages and one of them starved to death in my fort, while in a cage.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 11:41:46 am »

I once had a baby starve to death in a cage.

I've no idea how it got in there. We had no hazards or anything that would have triggered a trap to catch it. It was just... in a cage.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 12:21:00 pm »

I've no idea how it got in there. We had no hazards or anything that would have triggered a trap to catch it. It was just... in a cage.

Mom decided she was done dealing with the kid for now and "forgot" to pick it back up after danger room practice...
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 01:51:17 pm »

At least your dwarf fell unconcious onto a cage trap, unlike two of mine who fell onto two weapon traps with ten serrated steel discs in each.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:04:11 pm »

At least your dwarf fell unconcious onto a cage trap, unlike two of mine who fell onto two weapon traps with ten serrated steel discs in each.

I've benn trying to do that to some nobles for so long!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 04:06:31 pm »

Goblin snatcher caught him and then stepped in a trap?
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 04:25:39 pm »

Huh.  I guess despite all his rage, he is still just a Dwarf in a cage.  Then someone will say what is lost can never be saved (and he'll die of dehydration).
Sanity is for the weak.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 05:09:02 pm »

Huh.  I guess despite all his rage, he is still just a Dwarf in a cage.  Then someone will say what is lost can never be saved (and he'll die of dehydration).

The world is a goblin.
Sent to kiiIIIIiiiiIIIiiiill.
Building destroyers.
Watch them tear down your still!

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 06:29:54 pm »

can you sell a caged dwarf to caravans? I caught one once, but I let it go so.... I was just wondering.
What do you think? Yes? No?

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 07:48:33 pm »

He died.  :'(
My strength has been broken  :'(
Pages: [1] 2