Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some more questions about animals  (Read 915 times)

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some more questions about animals
« on: December 13, 2010, 11:28:53 pm »

I just bought a pair of raccoons from Elves with the idea of using them as a breeding pair and slaughtering their children for fur (I hope inbreeding doesn't cause poor quality fur for raccoons). I tried to set them free but they just get moved to an empty cage in the stockpile. I tried to build all the cages I have an then set one free, and I got a message "... cancels Release Large Creature: Need Empty cage." Is this because only domestic animals can be released? Is it impossible to breed anything else?

Another questions. I can't bring the small animals trapped in my small animal traps to the trade depot. Is it possible to put those in cages and then sell them to traders? Is there any other use for the captured vermin? My trapper is catching some diverse specimens, but I'm ending up with a bunch of rats and large roaches.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Some more questions about animals
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 11:35:52 pm »

I'm not sure about your raccoon problem, but releasing vermin is currently bugged. Your dwarves will always want the vermin in cages, even if you set them to be free.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:36:43 pm »

there is no fur, so all you'll get is meat, organs, fat, bones, and a skin and a skull.  none of these have quality multipliers.  Elves should have sold you tame raccoons, in which case you would be able to release them, but if you unassign a large untame creature from a cage, the dwarf will bring a new unbuilt cage and transfer it at the spot.  That said there are plenty of ways to remove the untame creature from a cage.  Basically you designate a pit over a hole in the ceiling of a room, and then pit the animal.  Of course, then you lose control of the animal and have to come up with a new way to cage/kill/butcher it.

Captured vermin should be traded away to the elves or crushed under a bridge.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:44:07 pm »

Oh, I just now noticed that only one of the raccoons is tame. If I put them on chains next to each other, will they multiply? Meat and bone are great since my hunter is not finding anything to catch.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 12:01:18 am »

Every creature in DF appears to reproduce via "spores". As long as those (different gender obviously) raccoons exist on the same map, they have the ability to reproduce, even if they're not in physical contact.

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 01:01:59 am »

Unless this has changed, I believe female animals won't become pregnant while caged, though they can give birth in a cage if they were already pregnant.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:51:09 am »

you can tame small animals, like your raccoons if they aren't already tamed.

kennal

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:11:13 am »

It seems the animals are in complete chaos. I actually got a wild raccoon in addition to the tame pair I bought from the Elves. This is what caused the confusion. The tame pair is now happily roaming my fortress and mating, at least I hope so. The wild one managed to escape while my dwarves were moving his cage to the zoo and lost life in battle.

Some time later, I got 3 wolves trying to enter my fortress only to fall to my cage traps. I put one of them in the zoo where he is happily entertaining my dwarves. The other two I tried to move to the trade depot in order to sell them, but they both fled during the hauling, causing some havoc and slaying an untrained pet dog before loosing their lives, similar to the raccoon.

Is it possible to tell when an animal has a chance of escape while it is being moved to another cage or when its cage is being hauled to another place? I've got a hydra and a minotaur in the zoo and I don't want to even think about moving those before I know why the animals are escaping.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:16:59 am »

Attempting to move wild animals to a trade depot always results in their escaping. Otherwise they'll usually stay put.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:43:16 am »

Attempting to move wild animals to a trade depot always results in their escaping. Otherwise they'll usually stay put.

Well, I'm not planning on selling my megabeasts, but it's kinda disappointing to not be able to sell those exotic animals that wander into my cage traps.

So, moving my megabeasts from zoo to a room I plan to use as an anti-siege weapon shouldn't let them escape, right?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 08:58:21 am »

Raccoons have the PET_EXOTIC token, so they won't breed unless you have a Dungeon Master.  And the Dungeon Master doesn't seem to ever show up in the unmodded game at the moment.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:36:52 am »

Raccoons have the PET_EXOTIC token, so they won't breed unless you have a Dungeon Master.  And the Dungeon Master doesn't seem to ever show up in the unmodded game at the moment.

Actually, IIRC you only need the dungeon master to tame and or train them.  If they're already tame (which the OP says they are) then they should breed just fine, and their offspring should start tame.

The wild 'coon, OTOH, wasn't going to be any use.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 09:57:12 am »

Actually, the PET_EXOTIC token really does prevent creatures from breeding unless a Dungeon Master is on the map.  This is unrelated to taming or training.  Exotic pets you buy from elves won't breed without a Dungeon Master.  Wild pet-exotic animals won't either.  Once a Dungeon Master shows up, both wild and tame exotic pets will suddenly start breeding.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 10:00:12 am »

Is that new to .31? Or do I just not know what's exotic or not?

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 10:00:35 am »

If you're having trouble getting the Dungeon Master to show up (and it seems like most/all people are) is it as simple as changing the raws to make the dungeon master selected by the mayor/expedition leader or is there more that needs to be done?
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

Pages: [1] 2