Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Some more questions about animals  (Read 910 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Some more questions about animals
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 10:06:23 am »

Is that new to .31? Or do I just not know what's exotic or not?
It's been this way since the 40d days at least, I remember in my last 40d fortress the local wild population of cave crocodiles didn't start breeding until the DM appeared.

If you're having trouble getting the Dungeon Master to show up (and it seems like most/all people are) is it as simple as changing the raws to make the dungeon master selected by the mayor/expedition leader or is there more that needs to be done?
There is a fairly simple fix that's been posted in the modding section to appoint the DM from the nobles screen.  I don't know if this actually works to make exotic animals breed, I haven't tried it myself.  It should, but DF is funny about event flags sometimes.  It may be that what's required is the DM arrived from off-screen message, not the mere presence of a DM.  My preferred solution when I wanted to breed an exotic animal was to just modify that animal's raw file to have PET instead of PET_EXOTIC.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 01:08:56 pm »

I've already done the change to the raws and can appoint a DM, that part seems to work alright. He wants a bedroom, tomb, etc. That part seems to work fine, i just can't tell if the training exotics works with an appointed DM as I haven't had the luck to get an exotic since I made the change as I embarked in a world with no elves and the dwarves are the only ones bringing caravans so far and the wildlife I've seen and trapped haven't been exotic so far.
Urist McMother has given birth to hectoplets.
Urist McMother has bled to death.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 01:57:42 pm »

Change some of the tame animals you have to [PET_EXOTIC] and see if they're trainable with your appointed DM?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]