Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mason not using stone stockpile  (Read 1066 times)

Nameless One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mason not using stone stockpile
« on: December 13, 2010, 10:21:56 pm »

I have a stone stockpile set up near my Masonry Workshop on the -2 level. However, my Masons are going down many levels to get newly mined stone. Is there a way to change this behaviour?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mason not using stone stockpile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 10:36:53 pm »

Are they going for stone that's several z-levels down, but closer on the x-y plane than the stockpile? If so, that's why they're going for it, the decision making for materials goes by birds eye path ignoring z-levels, so dwarves will prefer a stone that's 20 z-levels directly below them in the caverns and 9001 steps away to a stockpile that's 5 steps away on the same z-level. Usual workaround is to make their stockpile directly above or below their workshop with stairs to access it.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:29:08 pm »

Are they going for stone that's several z-levels down, but closer on the x-y plane than the stockpile? If so, that's why they're going for it, the decision making for materials goes by birds eye path ignoring z-levels, so dwarves will prefer a stone that's 20 z-levels directly below them in the caverns and 9001 steps away to a stockpile that's 5 steps away on the same z-level. Usual workaround is to make their stockpile directly above or below their workshop with stairs to access it.

It seems to be this way, and that's kind of messed up.  If the game is going to use distance instead of pathfinding (good idea IMO) there is still no reason to ignore Z-levels.  It doesn't make the distance calculation any more difficult for the computer, and it often makes a difference in the efficiency of your masons.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 11:46:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure it does take the Z-distance into account, but it's the same as X or Y-distance (i.e. a stone 9 Z-levels down is considered closer than one that's 10 tiles away on the other side of the room) so you don't notice it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 09:23:13 am »

I'm pretty sure it does take the Z-distance into account, but it's the same as X or Y-distance (i.e. a stone 9 Z-levels down is considered closer than one that's 10 tiles away on the other side of the room) so you don't notice it.

If a workshop is built in the middle of a large, mined-out room, my craftdwarves tend to carve out a slowly-expanding square around themselves, and on every Z-level below them that's been mined. This happens even if the stairs to said Z-level are logically too far away.

Gzalzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Whisper Game Studios
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 11:14:42 am »

Yes, the Dwarves always seem to go for what is directly closest to them without reguard for what the path to get to that item is like. Just this morning I had a mason doing work outside my Fortress (just started) and he went all the way in to someone's bedroom to get a rock when there were dozens on the path to get there.