Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Vegetable oil incoming!  (Read 4577 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetable oil incoming!
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2010, 03:51:09 am »

I wouldn't put it past Toady to have already coded in heart disease or obesity as a result of overeating fatty foods in the upcoming version.

HEART DISEASE/DIABETES GOBLIN TRAP K GO

This is why I love bay12.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2010, 04:34:04 am »

Oil? Excellent. Time for greased hallways, greased dwarves, greased pigs, greased babies, fire channels, greased fire channels, cakes, cakes at the end of burning greased hallways, and so on.

Deep fried baby, anyone?

I look forward to be able to give orders to oil up the statues.

On a more practical note, how will oil interact with machinery? Hopefully we can use it to reduce standing power requirements. Why does that gear assembly use up so much power? Cover it in delicious oil and set fire to it if it won't cooperate.

What about greased lightning?  ::)

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2010, 11:25:22 pm »

Eggs will be fun. I'll wait to see what the in-game uses of vegetable oil are before getting excited though
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2010, 12:33:19 am »

hopefully, with the introduction of oil, we might also see an introduction of mineral oils, rock oil, etc... thence tar, greek fire... boiling out that can be poured on invaders for more fun >:3
(well, yes, magma, but they don't suffer as long that way  :-\ )
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2010, 03:05:58 am »

This thread supports my First Theorem of Dwarven !!Science!!: "All new features ultimately lead to immolation."

The frequent referencing to fried kittens and burninated babies leads me to a second theorem:

"All !!Science!! will ultimately result in the immolation of cute things."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:09:48 am by Tenth Speed Writer »
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2010, 03:43:28 am »

Hopefully though he'll fix the bug with not being able to cook liquids.

That's not a bug. Meals made entirely of liquids used to turn into a puddle in a puff of logic. Solids are needed now, not only as a workaround but as padding to the current placeholder system.

I've always loved the term "A puff of logic"

Haha, NetHack

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2010, 04:31:30 am »

That's not a bug. Meals made entirely of liquids used to turn into a puddle in a puff of logic. Solids are needed now, not only as a workaround but as padding to the current placeholder system.

Haha, NetHack

... Either that's an attempt at trolling, or you and me are going to have to have a talk. And by talk, I mean trip to the hammerer's quarters.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:48 am »

Babal fish or otherwise...
Anyway, dragon egg omelets anybody?

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2010, 08:03:12 am »

Haha, NetHack

... Either that's an attempt at trolling, or you and me are going to have to have a talk. And by talk, I mean trip to the hammerer's quarters.

In the game NetHack, magical things sometimes happen when you sit on a throne. Whether anything happened or not, if you are still sitting on the throne (haven't teleported away), there is a 1/3 chance that the throne will then disappear, and the game will announce:

* "The throne vanishes in a puff of logic."

The phrase "vanishes in a puff of logic," is taken from the Douglas Adams comedy series, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. To be precise, it comes from an aside where humanity convinces God that He doesn't exist, and God "vanishes in a puff of logic."
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:11:20 am by AngleWyrm »

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2010, 03:36:41 pm »

I'd actually like to see the boiling oil thing.

Cast a metal cauldron at the forge, construct it to dump its liquid contents in a certain direction (like a magma pump), and fill it with a quantity of a liquid.  Include options to either pour it normally (for toxic substances) or boil it (which requires a unit of fuel to be brought prior to pouring).  Not only would this allow boiling oil, but it you could pour venom, or boiling BLOOD onto your enemies!  Fantastic!
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]