Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d Power Project  (Read 1257 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
40d Power Project
« on: December 13, 2010, 03:21:33 pm »

I have a fort with about 200 dwarfs in 40d and I want to learn how to use power. I have everything totally under control (Elves dealt with, 19 champions, Kings rooms almost done etc etc) and want to build an awesome mega-project. I have a clear glass tomb I am going to surround with magma under construction as well.

What I am saying is the fort is essentially done and all that is left is to build something truly awesome.

Also I have never used power before so now is the perfect time to learn how. If you have any ideas or advice for building them tell me.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: 40d Power Project
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:05:03 pm »

Build a goblinite maker that uses water to wash all your goblins into a shallow(!) pit and uses magma to incinerate the bodies and extract the goblinite.
Automatically.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:17:28 pm »

This is exactly the brilliance that brought me to this forum for help!

C'mon people, you know you want to give me ideas!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 02:24:10 pm »

Is my idea not good enough or do you want to do many things at once?

Here's another one: Make a McMoses effect walkway that can switch between water and magma.

Or make a GCS web trap that triggers on FB arrival (!) and reloads semiautomatically (as in: with multiple charges).

Or build a giant mechanism that uses a vertical door grid on the outside walls of your outdoor fort to display various sidescrolling rude messages to goblins and/or elves in language_DWARF.

When I start thinking, I think hard. I just invented all these things while writing and have truly great ideas on how to implement all of them. I think I should go make them myself.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:55:40 pm »

I meant I wanted as many different ideas as possible to choose from. Also, 40d there are no FBs and I have no GCS, even in my chasm.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 04:09:28 pm »

40d
Oops.

Well, I have some more: Construct an automatically repeating magma piston, make a magma fountain, make a goblin pit that drops 'em one at a time, or make a goblin-powered mist-generating goblin almost-drowning-trap under the main hallway.

I have a lot of ideas, you know...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 06:34:18 pm »

Make a double-bridge entrance where each bridge automatically retracts and extends in turn so that enemies always have a path to the fortress before they fall down. Have numerous bridges underneath so that you can set the entrance to delay, immobilise, splatter, or incinerate.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 10:48:09 pm »

Make a double-bridge entrance where each bridge automatically retracts and extends in turn so that enemies always have a path to the fortress before they fall down. Have numerous bridges underneath so that you can set the entrance to delay, immobilise, splatter, or incinerate.

I love bay12.

I was working on an isolator for my entrance, then I could use the power I create to pull all those things off.