Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A series of vermin related questions  (Read 1103 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
A series of vermin related questions
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:00:01 am »

1. is it possible to make a creature spawn (on the edge of the map) after a certain number of a specific type of vermin die on map? IE 10 rats are killed via cat and a rat monster shows up, or whatever? From what little I know, I'm going with no, but I wanted to make sure.

2. Is it possible to make a corpse/severed body part from a creature turn into a specific vermin? Like how a collossus turns into a bronze statue.

Thanks!  :D

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: A series of vermin related questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 01:20:04 am »

1. no, attack condition is only based on the dominant civ
2. no creature transformation possible as of yet.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 01:25:10 am »

Rephikul is a much better modder then myself, but are you sure about the second? Wasn't it affermed that a reaction could make vermin, so would it be that much of a jump to assume vermin could be dropped as a corpse? It seems like the kind of thing that should be tested, unless you already have, and that wouldn't surprise me, as from what I have seen you have [ETHIC:BE_WRONG_EVER:UNTHINKABLE] on your entity.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 01:47:30 am »

The vermin created from reactions aren't real vermin. They're fakes, and don't work properly. An ITEMCORPSE resulting in a PET (or whatever the item code for vermin was; there's a non-tame one as well) should work, in theory, though.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 02:35:13 am »

The vermin created from reactions aren't real vermin. They're fakes, and don't work properly.
True, my reaction made vermin tend to......explode if I don't throw/release them immediately.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 02:52:45 am »

Unfortunatly I'm in need of live, non exploding vermin, but if I ever need a tiny living bomb I'll be sure to keep this in mind. :P

It's not vital to what I was doing, so it's no big loss.

Thanks!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 03:29:33 am »

The vermin created from reactions aren't real vermin. They're fakes, and don't work properly. An ITEMCORPSE resulting in a PET (or whatever the item code for vermin was; there's a non-tame one as well) should work, in theory, though.
I didnt know vermins can be counted as item corpse. Tested and confirmed you can spawn vermin. In example:
[ITEMCORPSE:VERMIN:NONE:DOG:CREATURE]

VERMIN indicate the creature spawned is wild. If you want it tame, use PET Do note that this will force vermin status on any creatures you use. However, any creatures at all can be used although they dont seem to show their regular behaviour and it's not known if they are still heavy enough to trigger regular traps. Tested with a dragon and a cave blob, neither did their special attacks. Vermin-class buzzards still can fly, though. I guess the conversion is hard coded to suppress some of the tags.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:34:03 am by rephikul »
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 03:33:57 am »

Hmm, so if special attacks don't work, then custom corpses most likely don't either. Otherwise a creature could drop another of itself on death... Even if it were fake, as long as it distracts a dwarven military for all existance.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 03:35:57 am »

Hmm, so if special attacks don't work, then custom corpses most likely don't either. Otherwise a creature could drop another of itself on death... Even if it were fake, as long as it distracts a dwarven military for all existance.
Ya I actually tried really hard to see if I can spawn a creature of itself upon death but to no vail, it was immediately set as vermin and your combatants will ignore it. You cant even 'k' or 'v' it.

EDIT: you can spawn anything not just copies of itself, I spawned all test subjects above using alligators.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:38:51 am by rephikul »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 04:14:01 am »

Am I to assume this means you can only spawn vermin corpses, and not live vermin?

It'd still work, mind you, I'm just making sure.