Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you think is going on here?  (Read 3765 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
What do you think is going on here?
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:42:03 am »

I have dwarves walking through a refuse pile, there is nothing dangerous in the pile as far as I can tell, however, occasionally a dwarf will get red wounds to his feet, and become paralyzed and die from suffocation.

Is he being exposed to something from one of the megabeasts laying dead in there or something?

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think is going on here?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:44:06 am »

is the pile outside or inside? , and if it was inside did it produce a purple cloud?
Desu

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 12:47:56 am »

If something was killed in there that has a poisonous blood it might be that. An FB might have had a poisonous dust/poison and it's corpse was covered along with dwarves who hauled it, so they tracked it in the refuse pile.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:44:42 am »

I know I killed a megabeast with a paralysis effect.  my army took it down but everyone died of suffocation after they killed it.

It was using an airborne poison I think.

The refuse pile is outside so no miasma.

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 02:36:35 pm »

I *THINK* I figured out what is going on but I have no idea how it happened.

There was a puddle of "forgotten beast extract" that my dwarves were walking through.  I do not know how it was created or where it came from but it appears to have been causing the paralysis.

No, I am not using any mods to extract things from forgotten critters.

*EDIT: [WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_DWF:NO] in my init, but I am getting these puddles of doom all over my fortress now...

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:08:54 pm by profit »

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:42:02 pm »

I *THINK* I figured out what is going on but I have no idea how it happened.

There was a puddle of "forgotten beast extract" that my dwarves were walking through.  I do not know how it was created or where it came from but it appears to have been causing the paralysis.

No, I am not using any mods to extract things from forgotten critters.

*EDIT: [WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_DWF:NO] in my init, but I am getting these puddles of doom all over my fortress now...

I have now modded my dwarves to have the [nobreath] tag and decided to smash the puddles using wall sections...

The results have been... interesting, with it being some game of exponential whack a mole, with about 2 more tiles of it appearing somewhere randomly on the surface level of my fort every time I place a new piece of wall down on top of one of the pools of forgotten beast extract. 

Currently I have on average about 12 dwarves out of 190 that are paralyzed but the number keeps going up the more puddles that appear.

Perhaps embarking on a glacier and having temperatures being so cold have something to do with the forgotten beast extracts appearance.

Also appearing in every square the stuff appears in is ->
A pile of black sand
A pile of red sand
A pile of yellow sand
A pile of whip vine flour
A pile of ash
A pile of snow.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 07:46:11 pm by profit »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:52:34 pm »

Are all these piles near water? If so, your dwarves are getting the stuff on them and are cleaning it off onto the ground.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 09:14:26 pm »

You should also consider marking the puddles as restricted traffic areas as soon as they appear so nobody walks in them. Also, build shoes for everyone.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

profit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »

Are all these piles near water? If so, your dwarves are getting the stuff on them and are cleaning it off onto the ground.

Nope, I am on a glacier and water is 10 floors down.   The stuff only seems to appear on the ground level.

You should also consider marking the puddles as restricted traffic areas as soon as they appear so nobody walks in them. Also, build shoes for everyone.

The restricted area did not seem to work, it was something I tried a long time before and dwarves still ended up in them all the time for some reason.

The shoes idea is one I also thought of, I have been making leather low boots, *about 40 pairs so far* and they have been removed from the leather works so I know they are being worn by someone.  I actually think that is making a difference, but I wont know for certain until the entire fortress has shoes and no one falls over anymore.  LOL not that it matters, it is more hilarious now than anything watching a dwarf fall over with paralysis, not being able to breath, then realizing he does not need to because the raws have the [nobreath] tag.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 12:26:43 pm »

Wait, ground level as in exposed to the outside? Because weather features can clean off your dwarves. So if it's snowing out, you'll have everything washed off in no time. Fortunately, such features also clean off exposed tiles, so if that's it then the pools should leave on their own.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 12:29:42 pm »

The restricted area did not seem to work, it was something I tried a long time before and dwarves still ended up in them all the time for some reason.

The shoes idea is one I also thought of, I have been making leather low boots, *about 40 pairs so far* and they have been removed from the leather works so I know they are being worn by someone.  I actually think that is making a difference, but I wont know for certain until the entire fortress has shoes and no one falls over anymore.  LOL not that it matters, it is more hilarious now than anything watching a dwarf fall over with paralysis, not being able to breath, then realizing he does not need to because the raws have the [nobreath] tag.

Check your armor stockpiles. Low boots count as armor and are not worn by normal dwarves. Assign them all to squads with low boots in their uniform.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 02:26:49 pm »

The thing with pikes of ash and sand sounds like you're bugged.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 02:49:05 pm »

I got a idea desing a garbage dump (1 tile) veery deep in the ground put the dwarves to dump the stuff that makes you problems , build 10 meters long walls around the garbage zone and seal it
Desu

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 04:54:52 pm »

I got a idea desing a garbage dump (1 tile) veery deep in the ground put the dwarves to dump the stuff that makes you problems , build 10 meters long walls around the garbage zone and seal it

Well, first of all, you can't dump contaminants. Second of all, the dwarves dumping them would catch the disease and get paralyzed as well, making them drop what they're holding and making some other dwarf do it for him, which will cause yet another dwarf to touch the extract.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard
Pages: [1] 2