Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military has been training for 3 years...their still recruits...  (Read 2001 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Military has been training for 3 years...their still recruits...
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:13:56 pm »

The wiki says it should take a few months to get them to legendary.  What is it im doing wrong?  They all have armour and weapons.  Their in squads set to TRAIN year round.  Their all set to active/training.  They have a barracks thats assigned to them.  The minimum training requirement is 2.  Its 1 squad of 10, 1 squad of 9 and 1 squad of 5.  Why are my guys dabbling at EVERYTHING?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military has been training for 3 years...their still recruits...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:25:17 pm »

Before anyone asks, I HAVE read the wiki article on military training etc.

I will NOT use a danger room.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:26:30 pm »

they will start sparin and it will go faster once they reach novice. That may take some time.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 10:39:34 pm »

they will start sparin and it will go faster once they reach novice. That may take some time.

theyve been sparring.  also, 3 YEARS?  It almost 3 and a half.  On older versions i got my troops from dabblign everything to legendary wrestler, armour user, shield user, axe user, and dodger in a matter of months which the wiki claims is still easily doable.  Are you sure im not doing something wrong?  Also, whats the difference between having minimal training requirement at say, 1 to having it at 10?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 10:41:04 pm »

Also, whats the difference between having minimal training requirement at say, 1 to having it at 10?

That's the minimum number of people in your squad who will be training at that time. 1 means only one will be training, 10 means all 10 will be training.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:49:58 pm »

Also, whats the difference between having minimal training requirement at say, 1 to having it at 10?

That's the minimum number of people in your squad who will be training at that time. 1 means only one will be training, 10 means all 10 will be training.

so the lower the better right?  that way they wont wait on each other.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:57:09 pm »

The higher the better, more will be actively engaged in drills/demonstrations.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:59:59 pm »

Yea, if you have it set to 1, only 1 out of the (max) 10 members of a squad will be training at a time. This means they will do individual combat drills rather than, say, wait on demonstrations, but it also means they have nobody to spar with.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 11:06:24 pm »

You're not doing anything wrong, training military skills without anyone to teach takes forever in this version (I didn't play 40d, so I can't compare). Once you get experts who have some really high skills, they will give demonstrations to their squadmates and spar with each other and the pace picks up.

Every time you read anyone talking about training legendary soldiers in a few months, it's pretty much guaranteed that they're using a danger room. Spike traps will indeed take all of your soldiers to legendary in fighter, dodger, and shield user in a few months. If you're ruling that out, then you'll just have to wait 'til they figure it out from scratch. :)

Minimum training is the minimum number of squad members who will be in the barracks actively training. You want that either at the number of members or one below (to make breaks easier). Otherwise, your soldiers will be walking around taking civilian jobs and never getting any tougher.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 12:26:19 am »

Personally, I've always gotten better starting results from having my recruit military dwarves on inactive at first, in which case they go to individual combat drill pretty frequently, and don't waste their time on demonstrations. After they get to average or competent I'll set them on train so the better dodgers can demo it to others and so they can spar. This has worked pretty well so far.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 12:32:06 am »

have you considered fighting live animals with them?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 05:37:20 am »

Use your squad for hunting. Open a way to the first cavern. Kill whatever there is. A new party of animals will spawn immediately after you have killed the last of the previous bunch. Repeat until you have reached some levels. But be sure that your dwarves have good weapons, otherwise they might get used to bad weapons and won't part from them.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 06:53:28 am »

The only non-trainer Way to train recruits Without screwing your fortress if they fail is a Danger room

Gather up as many animals as you can and release them into a confined area , and tell them squads to move to the confined area(Spam the Kill command if needed)

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 06:53:57 am »

oops double post

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 07:37:18 am »

I'm in the habit of just having multiple squads of 3 soldiers, 2 on duty one off duty at a time, each squad with their own little barracks by the entrance.

That way they always have someone to spar with or demonstrate to and only one person off duty at a time means that they all get to have long training sessions before having a break.

You certainly wont see them hitting Legendary in a few months but you will see progress, if at least one member in each squad has some skill to begin with then they will progress faster.