Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm looking for some challenges  (Read 1071 times)

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm looking for some challenges
« on: December 12, 2010, 08:49:16 pm »

Ok, so I founded a fortress for the purpose of supplying my adventurer who is now kitted out in full adamantine gear with a bag full of adamantine weapons and after much training is absurdly high level in a number of skills.
Ledgendary thrower, archer, swimmer, ambusher etc
I don't even know what ledgendary+ level 694/10800 is but after days and days of standing in the middle of a massive mob of undead groundhogs strangling them most of my combat skills are in that area.
my adventurer duel wields a pair of adamantine battle axes and I'm starting to have a problem that I've never had in adventure mode before:

I can't find any enemies who can even touch me any more.
I'm considering a trip into the underground but I don't know how to find an entrance to the circus once down there and I have no idea how I'd ever find my way out.

I'm thinking about genocide, simply slaughtering everyone I can find but villagers and normal soldiers just aren't much of a challenge any more.

Anyone got any good challenges?
I've been turning bronze collosi into blind earless torsos to pass the time: is there anything tougher in vanilla?
I'm playing vanilla 31.18
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:08:48 pm by HungryHobo »

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for some challenges
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:44:41 pm »

Yes, take off your admantine; now go fight.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:49:52 pm »

Yes, take off your admantine; now go fight.
Even then combat could be painstakingly easy. I'm a dwarf with a half suit of cobalt/iron/red steel/black steel armor and I'm currently kicking an entire town's face in because I lost control of my hands. I'm in pain, bleeding and faint but I'm still slaughtering people.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:40:09 am »

I'm considering a trip into the underground but I don't know how to find an entrance to the circus once down there and I have no idea how I'd ever find my way out.

You could always just retire your adventurer and start a fort just to tap the HFS. After the fortress crumbles, then you can switch back to Adventure Mode and waltz right in.

Far as getting lost goes, go old-school and draw a map on some graphing paper. That or create massive arrows with the corpses of whatever comes after you in the underground. Platinum bins full of native platinum blocks are another option as a location marker as they won't move even if you leave the site and come back later.

One more option would be to retire your adventurer, start a fort next to a kobold cave, and let them steal massive amounts of highly valuable goods before abandoning or taping the HFS. See if their steel equipment carries over into Adventure Mode; even with copper equipment, sufficient numbers of kobold archers are quite capable of wiping out entire hordes of high level companions and have a tendency to get a lucky shot in on your adventurers as well.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:45:20 am by Ubiq »

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 12:36:20 pm »

I could remove his armour but then I could also arrange for him to break his arms and legs in a fall, the point is I'm looking for anything which can challenge him at his best.

ok, I founded a fortress purely to dig to the HFS, all 7 miners were quickly torn to pieces.

I brought in a test adventurer and he jumped down the hole... and died from the fall.
I don't think there's any way to train falling skill and I wanted to test my main adventurer against the demons of hell so as a compromise I added the flier tag to allow him to get down into hell intact.

after an hour of chopping the heads off demons with his 2 axes I've decided that even hell itself cannot offer him the challenge he needs.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 12:39:27 pm »

Since you're modding, make dragons 100x as big, give them adamantite scales, adamantize their claws/teeth/bones, superheat all their bits like a balor, cross-breed them with hydras, and increase their natural weapon skills to the point of no return.
Then go slay one.

Or, if you feel your dick is just that big, see about resurrecting Magmarmok. I'm sure he'll find a way to play with you.

In either case, you will find Eldritch Wizards of Armokian legend in the 'modding' section, who would be happy to assist in your foolish endeavors.
(Protip, find a master-crafted exquisitely-decorated Adamantite pick, train with it day and night until you are known throughout the land as a legendary miner, and gird yourself for glory. This knowledge will serve you well in the trials to come.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:54:05 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:48:02 pm »

Since you're modding, make dragons 100x as big, give them adamantite scales, adamantize their claws/teeth/bones, superheat all their bits like a balor, cross-breed them with hydras, and increase their natural weapon skills to the point of no return.
Then go slay one.

Or, if you feel your dick is just that big, see about resurrecting Magmarmok. I'm sure he'll find a way to play with you.

In either case, you will find Eldritch Wizards of Armokian legend in the 'modding' section, who would be happy to assist in your foolish endeavors.
Dare I ask who is Magmarmok?

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 12:49:54 pm »

I take it that hell then is as tough as I'm going to find un-modded then?

ah well.
Who is this Magmarmok you talk of?

what changes can I make which will take effect without re-genning?
I was under the impression some modding had to be done before worldgen while some flags like FLIER and CAN_LEARN could be added at any point.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 12:59:06 pm »

i once had elves rule the humans AND DWARVES!!!!  >:(
KILL. THEM. ALL.
Inundate this blighted world with magma, and let the bones of the elves form the throne of the leader of the new dwarf empire.
This is a masterfully-crafted elf bone throne. It is adorned with hanging rings of elven fail. It menaces with spikes of dwarven awesomeness. Engraved is an image of an elf. The elf is being struck down by an 80-foot tall Armok avatar made of magma. Engraved is an image of a dwarf. The dwarf is kicking a catsploding cat.

Is it wrong to want the magmarmok as a creature in-game?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 01:01:53 pm »

I take it that hell then is as tough as I'm going to find un-modded then?

ah well.
Who is this Magmarmok you talk of?

what changes can I make which will take effect without re-genning?
I was under the impression some modding had to be done before worldgen while some flags like FLIER and CAN_LEARN could be added at any point.

Do not ask me, for I am not a wizard, and I have not seen a single adamantite stud in a flax sock in all my days adventuring. This is your quest alone.
Badges of honor