Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Guard Towers?  (Read 2692 times)

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guard Towers?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 10:55:30 am »

I have a 2 level wall around the outside of my fort, with a 4-wide floor inside it.  Fortifications on the outside.  At a few key locations the wall expands out sort of like a guard tower.  I've put a few archery targets around at these locations, placed so that my dwarves are firing toward the center of my fort.  This means they're standing directly next to the fortifications and if enemies appear while training, they will be immediately able to engage.

...I love it. YES!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 12:26:29 pm »

I have a 2 level wall around the outside of my fort, with a 4-wide floor inside it.  Fortifications on the outside.  At a few key locations the wall expands out sort of like a guard tower.  I've put a few archery targets around at these locations, placed so that my dwarves are firing toward the center of my fort.  This means they're standing directly next to the fortifications and if enemies appear while training, they will be immediately able to engage.

"LOAD! AIM! FIRE! LOAD! AIM! FIRE!"
"Commander the siege is upon us!"
*ahem* "ABOUT FACE! LOAD! AIM! FIRE!"
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 01:32:17 pm »

I was under the impression that the range that the shooter is from the fortifacation will affect the projectiles likelyhood to pass through said fortifacation.

My thought as well, and that's what it says on the Wiki. Dig a moat around your tower, 2 - 3 tiles wide. You might want to leave one ramp out. When confronting enemy archers, either hit every other group of gobbos and let the archers flee, or have your archers in place in advance and let the enemy trickle towards them (it also doesn't hurt to have some soft target like war dogs around, though be mindful of loss of pet).

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 01:35:30 pm »

If you dont assign the wardog but instead just have each soldier train a wardog or two, then the dogs follow them around without being pets.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 02:14:39 pm »

For defensive placement, I like to use two rows of fortifications, and leave at bare minimum 5 tiles empty space between my pillbox and the closest that enemies can get.
This minimizes the arrows which can make it in the wrong way.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 03:59:41 pm »

For defensive placement, I like to use two rows of fortifications, and leave at bare minimum 5 tiles empty space between my pillbox and the closest that enemies can get.
This minimizes the arrows which can make it in the wrong way.

That sounds like overkill. DO IT!!!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 06:58:16 pm »

Bridges can be 10 squares long and need one row of tiles to rest on is raising.  Therefore all moats should be a minimum of 9 squares wide, and filled with magma. (or water if magma is unavailable)

*prefers traditional castle designs with towers and so on, even though it doesn't actually provide any benefit in DF.*
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 09:24:03 am »

Bridges can be 10 squares long and need one row of tiles to rest on is raising.  Therefore all moats should be a minimum of 9 squares wide, and filled with magma. (or water if magma is unavailable)

*prefers traditional castle designs with towers and so on, even though it doesn't actually provide any benefit in DF.*
Don't fill them*. Some things can swim. Some things can swim in magma. Far fewer, however, can fly over a dry trench.

(*: If you're planning a multilayer defense, then one of each is probably better...)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 10:16:26 am »

That's why you have the dry trench, the magma, and water above the magma.
They may be able to swim in magma, but nothing gets past obsidianization.
Pages: 1 [2]