Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best none-ranged weapon type?  (Read 2813 times)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best none-ranged weapon type?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 01:16:02 am »

When it comes to how powerful they are, GrizzlyAdamz is right, whips are absurdly powerful, and are counterintuitively more effective against armored foes compared to other weapons. About the only thing they can't do is finish off large organics, and even then you can chip them down until they can't stand or grab anything.

When it comes to my preferred weapons, it's a halberd or slicing knife.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 03:14:37 am »

When it comes to how powerful they are, GrizzlyAdamz is right, whips are absurdly powerful, and are counterintuitively more effective against armored foes compared to other weapons. About the only thing they can't do is finish off large organics, and even then you can chip them down until they can't stand or grab anything.
What about scourges? They are like whips but more awesome :D

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 06:31:37 am »

I feel whips, picks and throwing is exploity. They're way unrealistic, and make the game far too easy.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 06:51:20 am »

Bah, throwing is only exploity if you throw arrows like a faggot. I have 3 battle-axes I carry around to chuck at fleeing enemies or those that are getting an edge on my allies.
If you got hit with a mining pick, that shit would penetrate like a motherfucker. It also gets stuck like a motherfucker.
Whips, well, I'm not going to talk about whips. But, irl, they are one of the most painful weapons you can use, (though also one of the more impractical). I'd just chalk it up to it being some kind of magical razor-whip-snake-being-thing which goes straight into joints in armor, wraps around, and lacerates the sardine inside.

Scourges are edged, thus they aren't nearly as effective against armor.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 07:06:04 am »

Hammers n' battleaxes 4evar

Hammers are good for bashing , its tearing brains appart
Battleaxes can severe parts off <3
Desu

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 09:13:13 am »

@Demki: Scourges aren't nearly as fast (velocity of 2 instead of 5), have a much larger contact area (10 instead of 1), and only three times the mass, so they don't have the impossible armor penetration whips do. Statistically, a scourge lash is like a morningstar spiking but with less weight behind it and 1/10 the penetration.

It's kind of weird that supposedly whips are blunt weapons and scourges are edged weapons when whips have a much smaller contact area.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 09:44:06 am »

The scourges in the game are the 'rape jesus with razorz' ones that have sharp, pointy bits studded in the tails. But yes, a scourge would be absolutely useless against armor, (what with the very short straps (=small velocity), very low mass, and very, very small penetration).
@qinetix
Try replacing one of those witha pick and see what happens. Mainly the axe. And replace the mace with a whip. A silver one.
Have fun.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 10:28:59 am »

Blunt weapons can one hit kill most things with a good hit on the head. This only works if you are aiming trough...
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 11:26:54 am »

Bah, throwing is only exploity if you throw arrows like a faggot.
My current adventurer is crossbowman (human), who therefore hammers my foes when in contact, but as I've got a surplus of looted arrows, I do tend to find that thrown arrows are a better ranged attack than the crossbow firing bolts when two tiles away from a prone target, and not yet sure if the foe is capable of deadly recompense (albeit that it de-stacks them if I deign to pick them up again, which I note isn't something that has been (obviously) solved by Toady yet).

But when I do go into melee mode, usually on the bossman (if I can find him!) having picked off any obvious followers while still in hiding, I now tend to first of all hammer their hands.  Even with hand-armour, there seems to be less chance of deflection, and they end up dropping any remaining held weaponry so I'm safer while I get onto more dangerous killer hammer-blows (to the head being generally a 50/50 killshot, depending on armour and obliquity of striking, but then ends things too quickly to get decent experience).  This isn't because its a "better" weapon, but its one that lets me at least try to choose whether I'm incapacitating or merely playing with my opponent.  I appreciate that there are more outright deadlier options out there, and obviously all the above has to be revised for any non-organic and/or non-humaniform opposition I'm up against.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 12:08:55 pm »

well, I go for the axe. I just hack stuff off and sometimes kill them. really quick versus organic stuff w/o armor. one-hit-kill wolves easily.

btw it would help if I knew how to aim... played adventurer not very much...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »

shift+A
Badges of honor

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 12:43:32 pm »

isn't that just attack? I can <enter> and wrestle specific parts but attack randomly  :-\
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 01:09:33 pm »

It should bring up the same menu as wrestling does. You pick which enemy (should be selected with letters at the bottom left), pick what to attack, and then how to attack it.
Badges of honor

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 01:40:00 pm »

???
I tried that, I think, but let's try that again...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 01:52:41 pm »

my favorite is probably a sword. absolutely brutal for bodystabbing and limbslashing, and i have a heavy imagination. the mental images are bloody awesome.

they are pretty effective on most creatures i've found. armor can be a problem, you'll probably have to resort to bleeding the opponent by finding where he's unarmored and slashing it a few times.

at least for me, a sword with high skill seems to gut an opponent every third time, it's incredible.r
Pages: 1 [2] 3