Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Best none-ranged weapon type?  (Read 2815 times)

Gamermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best none-ranged weapon type?
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:11:20 pm »

I myself like spears,perfect for turning important body parts into target practice!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best none-ranged weapon type?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 05:14:27 pm »

halberds. spear, axe, and worthless club all in one :D

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 05:26:16 pm »

Swords, a balanced combination of club, spear and axe, all in one.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 05:26:46 pm »

Swords, a balanced combination of club, spear and axe, all in one.

I was just about to say that.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 06:29:44 pm »

Swords and axes are pretty close. Swords can often break a limb that they don't sever. Axes tend to sever or get stuck, but the latter will often kill the target anyway if it's in the head or upper body. Swords usually only kill if they get stuck in the head. Creatures also seem to bleed out faster from an axe cut than they do after being slashed by a sword.

If you're using a dwarf, axes are probably better since they seem to be slightly more effective when used during a martial trance. If nothing else, a lot more limbs go flying when you use an axe than a sword.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 06:32:57 pm »

Slashing weapons are good against unarmored small enemies (human or smaller), but not good against megabeast-sized or armored targets.

Crushing weapons are good against anything that feels pain, but generally not as good against any enemies.  The one time they are effective is against armored enemies, since blunt attacks seem to ignore armor.

Stabbing weapons are good at causing bleeding, pain, and organ strikes.  They are mostly blocked by armor, but are very effective against anything else.

I like to go with stabbing, especially spears.  They have a slightly lower contact area than stabbing swords (20 vs 50), which means they have a higher chance of penetrating armor, and they have epic penetration depth for getting to the hearts of large creatures.  I'm sure that swords work just as well, I just prefer spears.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Best non-ranged weapon type?
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 06:42:38 pm »

Best melee weapons? I'll break it down by purpose:

Stabbing - use a dagger or slicing knife, preferably iron or better. Aim for the brain. Carving forks work too.

Causing pain/breaking bones - whip

Slashing/limb removal - Halberd, but you have to hold it with 2 hands or you get a penalty

Daggers, whips, and knives have tiny contact areas (under 5), concentrating the damage and penetration. Halberds are almost as heavy as a great axe, heavier than a 2-handed sword, but have the contact area of a short sword.

I like to play dagger/crossbow/throwing ninja ambushers.

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 08:27:41 pm »

I'd say wrestling. You can strangle most things into unconsciousness in 3 moves, at which point you can cave their skull in whichever way you please. And if you have a free hand, you can steal enemies' weapons/armor/clothing.

Wyrms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 08:32:51 pm »

Picks and trap components are awesome, if you aren't already too skilled in a different weapon when you find one.
My favorite weapon that you can start with is a morningstar, but I never get it when I start with mace skill, so I just use spears.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:41:36 pm by Wyrms »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 08:39:53 pm »

Large serrated disks...for your throwing & gutting needs. Though drills are somewhat satisfying itself.

You drill the Elf in the mouth with the +enormous steel corkscrew+! The +enormous steel corkscrew+ is stuck in the wound!

But any slashing weapon is enough as long as you hit their neck & throat cause it leads to heavy bleeding and a quick death soon after (but that goes for you too...legendary toughness probably won't save you from that).
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 08:41:48 pm »

Sword. Its a very balanced weapon, and I I've had a few cool battles. Its agile too, its not as heavy as other weapons so it can move much easier (Unless were talking about two-handed swords!).

Daggers are much quicker then swords, but lack the blocking power. Great for close combat or throwing.

However, if you want efficent killing, I'd say an ax. Pure cutting power can slice though limbs without much effort.

Spears are bad if you want to kill quickly. They can cause pain, but all they do is pro-long someones death, nevermind how many times you randomly stab.

Also, out of all these weapons. The quickest way to kill someone is the head. Attack every time you get at least a tricky shot at it. A single hit to the head could mean instantous death for a human and anything below. Above that and it will take a few shots before it dies.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 08:51:03 pm »

I usually go with

either Shield + Crossbow (offering blunt and piercing capabilities) and, if I have time to switch before entering melee, an additional Halberd / 2h Sword (for making limbs go separate ways)

or Spear + Scimitar (stab stab stuck slash sever stab dead!)

Something for any occasion. 
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

NaziBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 09:27:44 pm »

It's a shame that only mining skill makes for proficient pick use. If only excavating a skull gave you mining experience.
"Better is one's own law of works, swadharma, though in itself faulty than an alien law well wrought out; death in one's own law of being is better, perilous is it to follow an alien law." - Bhagavad Gita

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 11:32:47 pm »

It does. I use them all the time.

Mining pics are epic. Small contact area+huge penetration and a speed multiplier twice that of a spear. 10v10, Miner dwarfs kicked the shit out of axe dwarfs without sustaining much more than 40% casualties, and that margin raised dropped to 10-0% as they all became more armored.
Whips are epic. Tiny, super-sonic hammers that disable incredibly fast, effective against all opponents, (though you'll never get a kill-shot on a megabeast with one). Whips beat picks handily; though they are matched at low levels of armor, as more protection is added the whip rules the floor.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:38:54 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 11:37:50 pm »

It's a shame that only mining skill makes for proficient pick use. If only excavating a skull gave you mining experience.
It does, I'm a competent miner because I beat a bunch of nords down with my pick, severing limbs left and right!
Pages: [1] 2 3