Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Military Failures  (Read 2205 times)

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
Military Failures
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:02:40 pm »

My dwarfs refuse to equip while off duty, and they will not train. They are marksdwarfs and I have an archery range and 500 bolts assigned to them. HELP?!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Military Failures
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 05:04:12 pm »

make sure under alerts they are set to active/training or they just sort of mope about. this is a facealm that i have made many times before noticing it...
This is a blank sig.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 05:15:42 pm »

They are set to Active/Training, it says <Soldier, cannot follow orders> or whatever.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 05:17:40 pm »

ah ok. lots of players also forget they need somewhere to train - assign a barracks to the squad using a weapon rack, armour stand or equivalent. then they will trian like any other squad (practice dodging, crossbow use, and so on...) and occasionally fire at the targets.
This is a blank sig.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:44:31 pm »

I have an archery range, but they won't use it, they are assigned to train at it too.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 05:57:17 pm »

You have to assign a barracks and an archery range. I'm pretty sure the archery range and barracks have to overlap at least a little bit too, but I'm unsure about that.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 06:14:52 pm »

Okay, thanks, I'll try that. Btw, does anyone know why my dwarves won't equip themselves without being active?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 06:20:30 pm »

Are they set to wear armour when off duty? Also, ensure that the archery range doesn't overlap multiple targets, you must designate a seperate range for each target. The best layout was a one wide corridor with the target at the end.
*Hugs*

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 06:35:10 pm »

In the schedule menu, it says Inactive=Uniformed, and I just got the archery ranges to work.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 07:57:35 am »

Please, help!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 08:25:57 am »

mine work with the following set up perfectly:

1) designate a barracks for them. mine is in the same room as some archery targets, using a weapon rack. somewhere to sleep is also a good idea.

2) designate some archery targets for them, and assign them the relevant equipment.

3) ensure thay are set to active/training in the alerts menu, and that the minimum soldier requirement under the train order is not set to 10. 6 works well for me.

4) in the ammunition tab, equip them with wood bolts for training - with big green T. dont put a C by it or any other bolts. ONLY put a C by the metal ones when you want them to use them. any letter by them will let them be used.

you might also want to make sure the squad leader has some combat skills to begin with, so there is somthing that can be learnt by the rest of the squad. my marksdwarves are happiny performing dodging classes, shield classes, crossbow classes and practice firing. the biggest mistake is not giving them a barracks AND some firing targets. they need both to train all skill areas.
This is a blank sig.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 08:38:24 am »

funny enough having a barracks overlap the targets and/or incude several targets sometimes breaks the routine too ..

it works best to give each target a single range without overlapping others ... the barracks for sparring and demonstration may help to set up the squad but laters can be removed once they got the drill and equipment ready  (works for me each time)

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 09:40:49 am »

I got them to shoot, but they won't walk around equipped.

EDIT:
I have one more question. Can cloth armour protect from animals, or is it completely useless?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 10:02:54 am by kytuzian »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 10:13:49 am »

It'll give a little protection, so if you're only dealing with less dangerous animals (deer, foxes, the occasional wolf) it'll serve somewhat. Leather would be better. However if you plan on doing any bigger game hunting (hippos, elephants, etc.) you'll want some metal.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 12:02:54 pm »

Thanks.

EDIT:
Do soldiers fighting skills go up if they do Individual Combat Drills?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:07:38 pm by kytuzian »
Pages: [1] 2 3