Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Military Failures  (Read 2203 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Failures
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 12:30:10 pm »

yeah individual drills are them training themselves.  they'll skill up the usual stuff like weapon/armour/shield/dodge/fighter but its very slow

marksdwarves doing individual drills train hammerdwarf rather than crossbow
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 07:48:17 pm »

Thanks.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 11:41:29 pm »

I got them to shoot, but they won't walk around equipped.

they should always stay equipped unless they are miners, hunters, or woodcutters.  Those professions adopt invisible uniforms when doing those tasks.  Any other dwarf will stay in armor all the time.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 07:40:59 am »

I have a peasant who won't equip himself. Any idea why? And for my cloth-armoured militia, I have like 20 shirts, but they won't take any?

EDIT:
How do I get my dwarfs to spar, all they do is dodging demonstrations, while their weapon skills are at Dabbling?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:15:46 am by kytuzian »

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 07:48:51 pm »

Please!?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 10:46:53 pm »

they just do it on their own once their skills are at a certain area.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 09:26:07 pm »

If you want the squad to equip themselves fast, go to the squad menu, Activate the squad, then use move order. They should hurriedly gather their equipment, and join up at the squad. Then cancel the move order, and voila, they are wearing the uniform you assigned, unless a item is not in stock. Then you get the can't follow order message.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 06:04:21 am »

You have to assign a barracks and an archery range. I'm pretty sure the archery range and barracks have to overlap at least a little bit too, but I'm unsure about that.
I never set a barracks for my markswarfs since doesn't it mean they'll do skill demonstrations other than crossbow?  I usually stick them up in guard towers behind fortifactions during combat so the non-crossbow skills are of minimal use.

All I do for my markdwarf training is dig out a room, build archery targets at one end and my ammo stockpile in the same room.  Designate each target individually to be used for training by the squad and then they do nothing but shoot bolts at them all the time.  As far as I know the settings to use certain bolts for combat and training is still broken and does nothing, they'll happily use your masterwork metal bolts for training although bone bolts still seem to be pretty effective on live targets, wood often seems deflected by leather cloaks or dresses.  I usually seem to end up with loads of silver so I skill up my weaponsmith making silver bolts.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 06:12:38 am »

You have to assign a barracks and an archery range. I'm pretty sure the archery range and barracks have to overlap at least a little bit too, but I'm unsure about that.
I never set a barracks for my markswarfs since doesn't it mean they'll do skill demonstrations other than crossbow?  I usually stick them up in guard towers behind fortifactions during combat so the non-crossbow skills are of minimal use.

Yes a barracks for marksdwarves means they train melee skills (inc hammer) when scheduled for training.  they should then use the range in their free time.  Designating just a range for training and not assigning a barracks may work, however I've seen a great many posts here from people who cant get archery ranges to work at all, and the advice is most often 'Add a barracks'.

YMMV I guess
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 01:36:31 pm »

I think you need to assign a barracks for the marksdwarf unit to sleep and clothe at but you mark the archery target for training instead of the barracks.  This works for me in my early games.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 01:43:39 pm »

the options i and q on a barracks allow the squad members to stash their gear there, but unless you actually have them switching to civillian gear when off-duty (and theres 0 reason to do so with broken clothing claiming as it wont work) then theres little reason to.

I do notice that a few years in the barracks floor is littered with socks/shoes.  This is exactly what happens in their own rooms if you assign them and can be alleviated by adding cabinets for storage (either barracks or a room).

Sleeping in the barracks I never really play with since my dwarves all get individual rooms
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 10:41:28 pm »

I have done tests with the marksdwarfs having both a archery target, and a regular melee training area. The former works fine, but under active schedule, they will still use a archery range, for lessons, if a melee training area is unavailable. in this case, just set up another archery range, for those dwarfs wanting archery practice, while lessons are going on, at the other. Just having 1 archery range, while they are active, confuses the heck, out of them
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 11:22:32 am »

If the dwarfs start from strach, about how long will it take them to reach novice?

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 01:01:15 pm »

Question: If you assign your marksdwarves to go hunting, would they get more practice with their crossbows than if they are unreliably using the training crossbow range?

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 01:11:53 pm »

The marksdwarves are all novice, I'm wondering how long a completely untrained speardwarf would take to become a novice speardwarf by only individual combat drills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3