Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What can I do with a Minoutar?  (Read 979 times)

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What can I do with a Minoutar?
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:45:30 pm »

I caught one in a cage trap and was hoping to use for fortress defense. Is it possible to tame and train it. Or should I come up with other methods of using for base defenses.

On the same note I have the long term goal of capturing dragons (maybe even get a breeding pair) and using say dragon for fortress defense.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What can I do with a Minoutar?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:47:31 pm »

You can't tame sentient creatures so it will remain hostile forever. HOWEVER, you could build it's cage (don't build a cage then try to transfer it!) in a room outside and pull a lever/hook it to a pressure plate so it gets tripped and lets it out to eat invaders.

Safey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 01:50:57 pm »

Thanks, Is a Minoutar good at eating invaders?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 01:53:58 pm »

Provided it has a weapon, minoutars have a tag that makes them "Adept" at all weapon skills I believe.

EDIT: Mostly:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:55:35 pm by Jacob/Lee »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 01:56:08 pm »

The answer to this should be obvious. Build a labyrinth and drop it inside. Then lead your would-be-invaders through the labyrinth.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nickdx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 02:50:19 pm »

Logistically speaking, place the minotaur at the end of the maze, which will be the entrance your dorfs will use. When you finish all preparations (cage linking, trap linking, etc) just wall the back of the minotaur up. This way, you don't have to make your dorfs walk all the maze for nothing.

Bonus points for dropping kittens on random points of the maze to keep the minotaur busy...

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:36:21 am »

I have to agree with the Labarynth ideas. With a kitten behind a cage trap behind a lever-connected wall grate, you could even recapture him if necessary. You can set things up so that the labarynth opens with the same lever that seals your fort off from the world, leading the goblins into the maze.

Or just set something up to put caged prisoners in an airlocked room that connects either to the fortress or the maze, but never both at once. Put the cage in the airlock, cycle the airlock over to the maze, and pull the lever to release the prisoner. Maybe he can get out before the minotaur finds him, maybe not... For a bigger challenge, litter the maze with floodgates that open and close based on a set of levers that are set to be pulled repeatedly.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:56:01 pm »

As stated above, with a Minotaur, you just have to build a Labyrinth. Set up its entrance outside, with a drawbridge you control. A little further down the hall, build another drawbridge, connected to a pressure plate, (the sneaky resettable/dwarf controlled effects one). When the invader hits the original plate, make sure its also connected to the Minotaurs cage. So when Snargh the goblin axe man hits the first, he gets trapped by the second bridge, the Minotaur gets released, bloodshed ensues. Recollect the Minotaur via the kitten technique listed for above. For bonus points, set up a totem stockpile of its victims skulls, in the corridors. Extra bonus points, name the Baron Midas
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 06:13:38 am »

Bonus points for dropping kittens on random points of the maze to keep the minotaur busy...

Double bonus points for putting a thread stockpile in the labyrinth.

Extra bonus points, name the Baron Midas

Don't you mean Minos? Midas was the man who turned things to gold. Nice for making your enemies into statues!

Actually that might make an interesting FB attack.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 06:38:21 am »

Heh, Minotaur is the obvious labyrinth candidate for obvious classical reasons.

Another fun use of these is to build their cage well outside your fortress walls.  You can skip even linking it if you like and use it as a building_destroyer bait.  They path to it and trash it, only to be set upon by the Mino.  Having it lever controlled is probably preferable though since you can then also sick it on regular enemies.

Combine these methods with a line of cage traps at your entrance and a drawbridge.  Release the beast outside and lock your fort, when he's done playing with the invaders lower the bridge and watch as he paths back into a cage
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.