Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: foreign weapons??  (Read 3055 times)

crappypappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
foreign weapons??
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:36 pm »

so ive been wondering for awhile can dwarves use them and if they can what are the restrictions?

EDIT
spose alot of people think im stupid lol >.< ive checked the wiki it just says can't be made by dwarves and is used by  then it lists whom ever but reason im asking cause in the military assign screen it says u can equip them but ive always thought that they couldnt equip them and that was for like if u had a civ mod or somthing and u werent playing as dwarves
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 01:46:25 pm by crappypappy »
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: foreign weapons??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:49:16 pm »

Dwarves can use all foreign weapons except bows.

crappypappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 01:56:19 pm »

cool thx for the info : )
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:19:24 pm »

But, if you want them to use the foreign weapons, it's best to specify them in the "uniforms" section.  Otherwise, they just tend to grab whatever they prefer.

I had to make a note of this earlier, when the best Sword-Dwarf I have (she's survived EVERY siege and monster encounter somehow, even with nerve-damage and inability to grasp things well) decided that the invading armies silver longsword was her "weapon of choice".  You can imagine how irritating that is, when I have masterwork steel shortswords laying around, and no amount of changing the uniform makes her change her weapon, 'cause she's "grown attached to it".

Still, she seems to massacre enemies fairly well with the thing, much to my amazement.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 04:25:48 pm »

That's why you usually let your dwarves train dodging/wrestling while you get your weapons forged, or else they might grow attached to some shitty training weapon or something.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 04:28:20 pm »

I had to make a note of this earlier, when the best Sword-Dwarf I have (she's survived EVERY siege and monster encounter somehow, even with nerve-damage and inability to grasp things well) decided that the invading armies silver longsword was her "weapon of choice".  You can imagine how irritating that is, when I have masterwork steel shortswords laying around, and no amount of changing the uniform makes her change her weapon, 'cause she's "grown attached to it".
If you designate items that a dwarf is attached to for dumping, somebody will come along and take it to a garbage dump. You can then tell the idiot to get something else, ideally something better.

Just FYI :)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 04:36:23 pm »

The last time I designated her sword for dumping, she actually assaulted and KILLED the dwarf who took it from her, and then re-equipped it.  Most random thing I ever saw.

I promptly unmarked it for dumping, so nobody else would suffer the same fate.

Though, it was probably a bug, I'm not eager for it to happen again.

But what originally happened was this:

All I currently have on my map is gold ore and copper ore.  I am making weapons and armor out of copper.  I had my uniform set to "metal short sword" and "metal x piece of armor".  To get the steel bars, I had to wait until I could request them, and then wait to smith what few I was given into weapons.

Said dwarf originally had a *Copper Short Sword*.  But, upon killing some random Goblin, decided she liked the Silver Long Sword much better, and has been using it ever since.  On the plus side, she is wearing a partial match of steel armor.  So, at least she's well protected while using a worthless item.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 05:02:11 pm »

Really...? That is odd. I'm absolutely certain that I've dumped attached dwarves' attached items without any murder taking place before, since I started a dwarf with full bismuth bronze gear and eventually upgraded her to steel everything. I'm positive that she had grown attached to her original bismuth bronze axe and shield before I upgraded, though. Maybe it's because I designated them for melting at the same time? Or perhaps it's because I had changed her uniform to disallow the old item? Maybe both? Hard to say, since I don't have the save anymore, and wouldn't know which of the 30+ seasons would be the proper backup to check anyway.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 05:05:15 pm »

Well, it didn't happen to any of my other dwarves, just that one.  And her uniform never allowed "long swords" in it.  I had it use specifically "short swords".  Still, she picked up the silver long sword from a Goblin, got attached to it, and killed the dwarf who took it from her.  It was the craziest thing I've ever seen and it hasn't replicated yet.

All the other dwarves are more than happy to let go of their equipment.  And she's even happy to trade up in armor, when I have her dump the old stuff.  But she murdered to get her sword back, so I don't know what happened.

I even have dwarves who actively "trade up" in equipment, once it becomes available.  Not all the time, but sometimes.

crappypappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 06:09:26 pm »

can foreign weps be used with shields?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 06:19:30 pm »

The last time I designated her sword for dumping, she actually assaulted and KILLED the dwarf who took it from her, and then re-equipped it.  Most random thing I ever saw.

I promptly unmarked it for dumping, so nobody else would suffer the same fate.

Though, it was probably a bug, I'm not eager for it to happen again.

You would think that would start a loyalty cascade.

Yes, except bows.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 06:27:36 pm »

Some of them. Others are too big to be wielded one-handed, and so can't. Unfortunately, I don't know of any list of which are one-handed for dwarves and which aren't, especially since it varies a bit depending on how big a particular dwarf is.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 10:00:34 pm »

Well, it didn't happen to any of my other dwarves, just that one.  And her uniform never allowed "long swords" in it.  I had it use specifically "short swords".  Still, she picked up the silver long sword from a Goblin, got attached to it, and killed the dwarf who took it from her.  It was the craziest thing I've ever seen and it hasn't replicated yet.

All the other dwarves are more than happy to let go of their equipment.  And she's even happy to trade up in armor, when I have her dump the old stuff.  But she murdered to get her sword back, so I don't know what happened.

I even have dwarves who actively "trade up" in equipment, once it becomes available.  Not all the time, but sometimes.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know what her personality is, off the top of her head? Like if she's impetuous and quick to anger, or something?

That's really crazy. . .I can't help wondering if it's intentional.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 10:10:04 pm »

"She doesn't doesn't often experience strong cravings or urges.  She is relaxed.  She loves a good thrill.  She prefers familiar routines.  She finds rules confining.  She scratches her nose when she's nervous.  She needs alcohol to get through the working day.  She is getting used to tragedy."

I don't really see anything else in her profile to suggest her behavior.  Most of it is what she likes and the three things she doesn't like.

She's got a poor memory, bad intuition, and little natural inclination towards music...

She has a lot of willpower and a great deal of patience...

I just don't see anything in here to suggest her behavior, ha ha.  I'm inclined to believe it's a glitch or bug.  Especially since the dwarf who took her weapon got 12 squares away before she took off after him and murdered him halfway to the dump site.

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 11:20:52 pm »

This isn't a bug, it's a feature. She's picked up a cursed, magic sword that ensorcelled her mind and made her desire it. She will murder to keep possession of it. It's the beginning of a tragic and possibly epic tale.
Pages: [1] 2