Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Speeding things up a little  (Read 568 times)

AricW/anA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Speeding things up a little
« on: December 12, 2010, 01:27:02 pm »

I don't want light speed dwarfs but it'd be nice if i could get those lazy sods to move a LITTLE faster. Any advice? Init file alterations to make?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Speeding things up a little
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 01:35:45 pm »

Relatively faster with other creatures in the game, or actually run faster on your screen? As for the former, you need to change their speed to 1. As for the latter, you need to pull out more FPS improving tricks.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 02:18:13 pm »

Speed at 1 (0 also works, IIRC, and is slightly faster) is lightspeed dwarves. Speed at 900 is normal-speed dwarves. 900 is default for most creatures. Elves and other "fast" creatures are at 700 base. Lower raw speed means that creatures act more often, thus moving faster, so if you want everyone moving faster-but-not-lightspeed, put their speed somewhere between 900 and 1.

Most of the information from version 40d is accurate except where it's been specifically changed, and the wiki's 40d article on speed has a lot of good information. Check it out.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

AricW/anA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 02:44:34 pm »

I should've specified. I don't want to cheat by making the dwarfs faster than they ought to be just speeding up the game in general. Maybe a fast forward button? I frequently remake forts.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 02:49:09 pm »

I should've specified. I don't want to cheat by making the dwarfs faster than they ought to be just speeding up the game in general. Maybe a fast forward button? I frequently remake forts.
Ah. Well, you could try increasing the FPS cap. I typically keep mine at 150, just because I can run the game at that rate when I have few dwarves or fluids moving around and it does make the early game significantly faster. Of course, if your computer can't handle a higher FPS than you're getting already, that won't actually help.

There's no fast-forward button in the game; the game has to calculate everything that goes on, and it does it as fast as it can, limited only by its own processor power and your FPS cap. Increasing the FPS cap will make the game run faster if that is the limiting factor, which for young forts it probably is.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:01:36 am »

Beware the seduction of raising the FPS cap. I got into the habit long ago of setting my FPS cap to 200, which makes newly embarked forts fly at 190 FPS or so. But it's not long before the FPS drops to 100, then continues to fall until it seems to bottom out around 30. It's deeply disheartening. Once you get used to seeing your legendary miner fly through bedrock like he's running a race, it's very hard to resist the temptation to abandon and start over when things start to slow down.