Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hill Titan Eslo has come! - My first Titan, need help!  (Read 1419 times)

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
  • UristMcSoldier is an enemy of the Twinkling Incest
    • View Profile
Hill Titan Eslo has come! - My first Titan, need help!
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:57:54 am »

A Huge Eyeless serpent.  It has a twisting, jointed trunk and it moves about carelessly.  Its auburn scales are large and overlapping.  Beware its deadly spittle!

Need advice on how to kill this thing.  So far ive defended from sieges by getting everone inside, hoisting the bridge and taking em out using atom smashers and cage traps.  I assume that wont work here.  Also, can this thing spit OVER/Down From walls like archers?  My military are bumbling idiots wearing a mix of copper and iron.  I have 0 faith in them.  Sending them to kill a mountain goat is prett much all they can handle.
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Hill Titan Eslo has come! - My first Titan, need help!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 11:05:55 am »

Your bridge should be able to keep the thing out, but do not attempt to atomsmash it; you'll just break your bridge. Traps won't work either.

Your options for killing a titan are either military or somehow getting it caught under a cave-in. Or just wait for a siege to come and hope they'll kill it.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 11:07:11 am »

i have a feeling thisll end VERY badly...what exaclty will the "dangerous spittle" do to my guys?  how deadly are the symptoms and how easy will they be to spread?
ive gotten in the habit of replacing my chief medical dwarf as soon as he gains any notable skill in diagnosis.
It's really funny watching them do unnecessary surgery because of a wrong diagnosis.
the conditions were bad enough to turn a dwarf who didn't care about anything mad, that's pretty hardcore.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:16:18 am »

Im walled off and my draw bridge is retracted meaning he cant get into my fortress.  I was thinking of building a ballista across from my draw bridge and shooting him with it.  Thoughts?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 12:02:23 pm »

Im walled off and my draw bridge is retracted meaning he cant get into my fortress.  I was thinking of building a ballista across from my draw bridge and shooting him with it.  Thoughts?
If the no pathing = no ranged attack bug still around then yes that work perfectly.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 12:08:14 pm »

i have a feeling thisll end VERY badly...what exaclty will the "dangerous spittle" do to my guys?  how deadly are the symptoms and how easy will they be to spread?

I believe the effects are randomized, who knows you may be lucky enough to get some form of horrible necrosis!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:14:39 pm »

If the no pathing = no ranged attack bug still around then yes that work perfectly.

I can verify that it is not. Ranged attackers will shoot across empty space and through path-blocking constructions such as vertical bars and wall grates.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 12:37:34 pm »

I can verify that it is not. Ranged attackers will shoot across empty space and through path-blocking constructions such as vertical bars and wall grates.

so that pretty much means I HAVE to kill it somehow.  Else itll starv me to death, or will it just leave eventually?

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 12:51:46 pm »

I fought my first Titan yesterday in 31.18.

It actually went a LOT better than I had anticipated.  Every fight I'd put my dwarves in had ended with 2 or 3 (or sometimes MORE) casualties.  I noticed after a bit that it wasn't captured by the cage traps, so I sent the military in en masse.

9 Dwarves attacking him all at once, and putting him down with minimal effort.

I'd suggest (if there's no way to keep him outside, like I don't have) that you just start drafting dwarves into the military like crazy and send them all to kill him at once.  You'll lose a lot of dwarves, but they typically can't attack everything at once.  Also, if you have War Dogs, assign all of them to your toughest melee fighter.  They'll help you a lot too.

And, if you survive the Titan... Get to training your military, it's INVALUABLE in this game, unlike other previous versions.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 12:56:11 pm »

I fought my first Titan yesterday in 31.18.

It actually went a LOT better than I had anticipated.  Every fight I'd put my dwarves in had ended with 2 or 3 (or sometimes MORE) casualties.  I noticed after a bit that it wasn't captured by the cage traps, so I sent the military in en masse.

9 Dwarves attacking him all at once, and putting him down with minimal effort.

I'd suggest (if there's no way to keep him outside, like I don't have) that you just start drafting dwarves into the military like crazy and send them all to kill him at once.  You'll lose a lot of dwarves, but they typically can't attack everything at once.  Also, if you have War Dogs, assign all of them to your toughest melee fighter.  They'll help you a lot too.

And, if you survive the Titan... Get to training your military, it's INVALUABLE in this game, unlike other previous versions.

i already have a miitary that ive been training for everal years, but they still suck.  What im worried about is the "deadl spittle" any idea how powerful its gonna be or what i can do to avoid it?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 01:02:21 pm »

SAVE RIGHT NOW!
well it'll give your dwarves a syndrome (look that up in the wiki when it goes back up) so I suggest you make some sort of washer in the hallway (others can help you there, I'm kinda sleepy right now) to get them cleaned. at least partially.

well hopefully you have guys with shoes on.

NOTE: the titan should not shoot if there is absolutely no path to the target. as if that dwarf isn't a valid target. that's the bug that's talked about.
Just save and try it.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Ifeno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:16 pm »

Ok so will this washer thing be a permanent solution or is it only a makeshift solution?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 02:14:53 pm »

well this one is pretty effective, but it's kinda makeshift
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Pagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 09:48:09 am »

Just dig a channel in your main tunnel and set it as a pit, let it fill to 2/3 water or so. Will wash off the dwarves coming in and stop them spreading contaminants/blood.

Its always needed in my forts.
My gf thinks sex will stop me from playing dwarf fortress.
Little does she know that will never work, a beard doesnt look good on her.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 09:51:21 am »

SAVE RIGHT NOW!
Do anything, but not this. If your dwarves die: Let them. That is what the game is for. ;)
Pages: [1] 2